Hi, I thought that I resolved my problem with this program, version
6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316, however I have not.

I went to the CP and Add/Remove and then to "Set Programs Access Defaults" and the office tech has it set at Custom for all of the programs listed here and so I looked at IE and it was set to "use current web browser" and so I changed it to Internet Explorer and thought I solved the problem, only to find that this setting will not stick.

I also went to Tools in IE and Internet Options and the "Reset Web Settings" and the window opened saying that Google found a program trying to change the settings.
Before that there was an option to change my Home page which is Google and I did not want to do that b/c I don't know how to reset it.
So I don't think the "Reset Web Settings" actually was enabled.

I did a "Search" for "Comct.32dll" and found that it is on my computer.

I am really confused as to what is going on here and would appreciate some comments.
I searched the Browser threads here and the closest that I could come across was a thread started by "taffylad" 2 weeks ago, however there was no mention of the error code.

I should say that while I am reading the technical error code information when I click on the hyperlink and the Error that " IE has encountered a problem and must close" that the site I am trying to get to actually opens but it is in the background behind the Error Information, and when I click on don't send then the whole thing shuts down.

I really need to get to some Links for my work. It is the long weekend here and I was planning on doing some catch up on the computer so that next week being a short week that I would not get bogged down and of course there are no tech people working being that it is Easter.

I again mention that the techie at work did a security check on the computer and said it was clean but had no time to explore the problem before the long weekend.
Thankyou for your time.

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by MidiMagic

The Error I posted should Read Comct132.dll and NOt Comct32.dll

The Error I posted should Read Comct132.dll and NOt Comct32.dll

The problem has been fixed. The neighbour who is a computer tech came over today on the long easter weekend.

Last night I did all of my security updates per usual and scans including a new a2 malware program scan, a disk clean up and disk defrag and reboot and still had the problem.

The neighbour did a Search and the Comct132.dll is on my computer and he said he had seen this problem before. He went into CP>IE Options >Advanced and took the check mark out of enable third party browsers and Reboot and I am now able to open all Links.

I don't know why this solved the problem as I didn't want to take up his time as he came over as they were leaving and his solution worked. I would appreciate it if any has any ideas why this worked if they would reply.
And I post this in the event that anyone else has this horrible problem and hope that this is of help.
Kind Regards.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.