Under Windows 2000 Pro, SP4, I am unable to use the "Add/Remove Programs" program in the Control Panel. Clicking or selecting "Open" has no effect. Nothing happens or opens.

Have you ever experienced or seen this?

Any suggestions as to where or what my problem might be, or how I might diagnose this latest malady in Win2K?

Also, are there any other Win2K users experiencing new difficulties after downloading and installing Win2K updates from Microsoft?

Thanks!

Don

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Try this:

1.Click Start, and then click Run.
2.In the Open box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3.In the Command window, type sfc /purgecache, and then press ENTER.
4.In the Command window, type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.

It might prompt you to enter the windows 2000 cd or the path.

If the last suggestion does not work then download the zip file and run the back file. That will re-register the basic files needed to run add/remove programs.

Great!! You nailed it!

The sfc /purgecach command ran fine; it requested the original Win2K disk and then automatically ran the scan. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.

Happily, the AppWiz bat-file did solve the problem! And it was quick. Is that batch file your personal handiwork?

Thank you!

Don Crane

If the last suggestion does not work then download the zip file and run the back file. That will re-register the basic files needed to run add/remove programs.

Yes its my personal file. I used to work for Microsoft Enterprise Support. I moved into development when i was a tech lead there.

No Problem, anytime

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.