I've had this problem for a while now, and it's driving me nuts! IE, and almost everything else are able to connect to the internet on this PC which is connected to the ADSL router via LAN. However, some programs that have a "check for online updates" feature are not able to connect. Some programs on the other hand can, and I guess they use a different protocol.

I have disabled both software, and hardware firewalls etc. I run Iolo System Mechanic pro 7, and I think that may be the culprit, although that's just a hunch. I think it may have disabled something or another. I've been through all I can to make sure startup items are starting up, set internet settings from optimal to original settings and so on.

This is a problem I need to fix, as a lot of software now relies on it's own update checker, and doesn't provide a manual alternative, and apart from anything else, this situation is just bugging me!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Go into control panel ->administrative tools -> services and make sure than "Background ntelligent Transfer Service" is enabled

Go into control panel ->administrative tools -> services and make sure than "Background ntelligent Transfer Service" is enabled

Thanks. The service was not running so I started it, but I still have the problem.

Thanks. The service was not running so I started it, but I still have the problem.

so did you try the winsockfix tool !!

so did you try the winsockfix tool !!

Thanks caperjack. I misread your post the first time. I have now run the winsockfix tool, and hey, it worked. Thanks again!

Thanks caperjack. I misread your post the first time. I have now run the winsockfix tool, and hey, it worked. Thanks again!

your welcome .
And i reread my first post and noticed that i forgot to say click this link for the program ,I usually put that in so people realize that the link means something ,again you are welcome .

also see below this post, to mark thread as solved ,thanks

that background intelligent service i talked to you about should be ON by default in xp. Some spywares disable it as the service is needed to update windows and some software like virus scanners, so i adise you to run a virus scan and check the rest of your services are set tp what they should be.

my ,background intelligent service is set to manual ,i don't know if i changed it to that or if thats default for winxp home.
edit: just check the winxp pro tower i have connect to my main computer via a KVM switch ,using my router to connect to internet ,its background intelligent service is set to automatic .i have no problem connecting to internet and windows updates on either machine .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.