I have a XP Home PC. While attempting to Ghost my old drive onto a new drive, I made several screwups and ultimately attempted more than three copies. My new drive starts to boot into Windows, but stalls and will not complete the bootup. I understand that XP has a copy limitation of three copies. If that is the case, am I screwed as far as Ghosting my old drive onto my new drive? Is there any kind of work-around solution. I have my original
XP Home system CD, but I would rather not have to completely build the new drive by loading all the programs, drivers, etc. Any good advice???

Thanks,
Steve

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The fastest solution would be to rebuild your drive. It's nasty (read 'work') - but you will have a clean system again.

If you want to try the hard way :)
Did you try a 'safe mode'/'failsafe' boot?
You can also boot off of your XP disk, and enter the recovery console. Then try running a chkdsk.

The fastest solution would be to rebuild your drive. It's nasty (read 'work') - but you will have a clean system again.

If you want to try the hard way :)
Did you try a 'safe mode'/'failsafe' boot?
You can also boot off of your XP disk, and enter the recovery console. Then try running a chkdsk.

Belrog,
Thanks for the feedback. I may bite the bullit and just build the drive from scratch. My
original drive (60Gb Samsung) is six years old and I want to upgrade before the old one takes a dump.

Steve

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.