hello everyone i recently decided to take on a "big" project (big for me at least). A friend of mines is opening up her business and asked me if i can network all her computers and i said yes. Thought it would be fun plus i can gain some experience since I'm planning to major in the CIS field. Well here is the scenario:
- She has 4 workstations and 1 server.
- The 4 workstations will be used for word processing. 2 out of the 4 will be able to connect to the internet.
- All four will be saving their work on the server's hdd
I'm thinking of implementing deep freeze so when the users log off everything is erased. That way i can get the virus and any other headaches out of my way.
My questions are:
1) Do you guys recommend ghosting? How does ghosting work? What software do you guys recommend for ghosting? Can i ghost the computers so when i want to install one piece of software they all get it installed at the same time?
2) Do you guys recommend Deep Freeze? Can Deep Freeze be used on Vista Machines?
3) Would i need to buy a switch to get all computers on a lan and then port those 2 computers that get internet through the switch to the router?
4) Do you guys recommend i run the server on a Ubuntu/Linux OS or Windows?
Any help would be awesome, i am very excited yet scared because i have never done this and it's a bit overwhelming. Thanks guys!