Hello

I have a server 2003 R2 where i have a number of shared folders. The shares work pretty fine depending on the users rights. The problem is for the users that has modifying rights, they can do just about anything but as soon as they want to execute a program from the share drive it gives them a error message stating they do not have permission to execute. The only way to execute the program is to copy to their local machine and run it that way.

I was just thinking is there a way to execute a program by implementing some security?

Many thanks

Sid

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hey Sid,

Are you able to launch an application with admin privs? What type of NTFS privs do your users have on the share, they aren't limited to read only are they?

Hey Z

Thanks for the reply.i should close this tread- i found that the directory was too long of where they want to run the executable file from. I took the same file and moved it to a different location and found that there was no hassle to run it...but once i place any other dot exe file in that specific folder(or further in the directory) it wont run. I then realized that Microsoft has a directory\ character limit.
My users had 20+ sub folders in that specific folder...Crazy I would say... :)

Problem Solved>>>User Error<<<<
Thanks for your input!

Sid

Hey Sid,

Thanks for suppling the solution! That is crazy, it amazing some of the things our users do :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.