Hey there, I got through here from a google search for help with Netgear products. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem. I bought a used wireless access point on Ebay. I opened the box, read the instructions and did what I read the instructions to be. I plugged the cable into my router (which is a Netgear Web Safe Router RP614v3) and then plugged the power up. It comes on, but the wireless signal light will not light up AT ALL. and i cannot get to the config page using the netgearXXXXXX thing or the ip address it says the thing uses. I'm stuck, and I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or if someone sent me a busted wireless access point, because if so I need to try and get my money back through paypal or something. Thank you to anyone who can help me with thi sproblem. :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

The previous user may have changed the default IP address or some other configuration settings; you should do a hard reset of the router if you haven't done so yet.

Here are the reset instructions from Netgear:

1. Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
  2. Release the button.
  3. Wait for the router to reboot.
  4. Log in with the default password. If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.
  5. Unplug the router's power.
  6. Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
  7. Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.
  8. Wait for the router to reboot.
  9. Log in with the default password.

The previous user may have changed the default IP address or some other configuration settings; you should do a hard reset of the router if you haven't done so yet.

Here are the reset instructions from Netgear:

1. Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
  2. Release the button.
  3. Wait for the router to reboot.
  4. Log in with the default password. If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.
  5. Unplug the router's power.
  6. Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
  7. Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.
  8. Wait for the router to reboot.
  9. Log in with the default password.

Nothing blinks when I press the reset button. This isn't the router that I'm having probs with, its the access point (just saying bc those instructions say router over and over).

None of that worked. :\ I tried it several times, the power and ethernet lights do stay on, but the wireless signal light just stays blank. And I've got my other computers hooked up wired and the internet has been working fine as it has been before I got the access point. It just will not let me go wireless. :(

Yes- the instructions on Netgear's site did use the word "router", but they apply to any of their devices which have a reset switch.

From one of the computers that is directly wired to the router, can you sucessfully ping the default IP of the Access Point?:

* Click on the "Run..." option in your Start menu.
* In the "Open:" box of the resulting window, type "cmd" (omit the quotes) and hit Enter. This will bring up a DOS window.
* At the DOS prompt, type the following commands, and then hit Enter. You should get 4 positive replies, followed by some sumary information.

ping default_IP_address_of_WG602

Yes- the instructions on Netgear's site did use the word "router", but they apply to any of their devices which have a reset switch.

From one of the computers that is directly wired to the router, can you sucessfully ping the default IP of the Access Point?:

* Click on the "Run..." option in your Start menu.
* In the "Open:" box of the resulting window, type "cmd" (omit the quotes) and hit Enter. This will bring up a DOS window.
* At the DOS prompt, type the following commands, and then hit Enter. You should get 4 positive replies, followed by some sumary information.

ping default_IP_address_of_WG602

I pinged 192.168.0.227 which is the IP address in the instructions and it said "Request timed out" four times.

Hmm... it's starting to look like something might be squiffy with the Access Point, but let me check at least one more thing before we consider the possibility of a faulty AP. On the computer which you ran the ping command, please do the following:

Open a DOS window again and at the DOS prompt, type the following command and hit Enter. You won't see any result from the command, but when it completes, a second prompt with a flashing cursor will be displayed; close the DOS box once that happens:
ipconfig /all >"%userprofile%"\desktop\ipconfig.txt

The above command will have created a text file on you desktop named ipconfig.txt; double-click on the file to open it in Notepad, and then cut-n-paste the file's contents in your next post here.

Hmm... it's starting to look like something might be squiffy with the Access Point, but let me check at least one more thing before we consider the possibility of a faulty AP. On the computer which you ran the ping command, please do the following:

Open a DOS window again and at the DOS prompt, type the following command and hit Enter. You won't see any result from the command, but when it completes, a second prompt with a flashing cursor will be displayed; close the DOS box once that happens:
ipconfig /all >"%userprofile%"\desktop\ipconfig.txt

The above command will have created a text file on you desktop named ipconfig.txt; double-click on the file to open it in Notepad, and then cut-n-paste the file's contents in your next post here.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Lisa
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-0D-2D-FC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:53:37 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 9:14:07 PM

By the way, thank you so much for helping. :)

You're welcome- help is why we're here (although I'll feel a heck of a lot better about this if we can actually get it working) :mrgreen:

Your IP addressing info is correct in terms of what should be compatible with the access point, so I'm not sure why you can't ping the beast. Let's see if the RP614 router even senses that the AP is attached to it. If it does, we will also be able to determine the IP address that the AP is using:

* Open your web browser and log in to the router by going to the following address: http://www.routerlogin.net

* Enter the username and password. The default user is admin; the default password is password.

* Under the Maintenance section/option, go to the Attached Devices section and see if your can determine which IP addresses are assigned to which devices (the AP should obviously be one of those devices.)

You're welcome- help is why we're here (although I'll feel a heck of a lot better about this if we can actually get it working) :mrgreen:

Your IP addressing info is correct in terms of what should be compatible with the access point, so I'm not sure why you can't ping the beast. Let's see if the RP614 router even senses that the AP is attached to it. If it does, we will also be able to determine the IP address that the AP is using:

* Open your web browser and log in to the router by going to the following address: http://www.routerlogin.net

* Enter the username and password. The default user is admin; the default password is password.

* Under the Maintenance section/option, go to the Attached Devices section and see if your can determine which IP addresses are assigned to which devices (the AP should obviously be one of those devices.)

Unfortunately no, it doesn't even recognize that it's attached to it.

Attached Devices

[IMG]http://www.routerlogin.net/img/liteblue.gif[/IMG] # IP Address Device Name MAC Address 1192.168.0.2lisa 00:12:17:54:6a:f62192.168.0.3Lisa 00:13:20:0d:2d:fc3192.168.0.4Jennifer 00:12:3f:27:15:58
those are the three computers that we have connected to the router. :\

i have the same problem with netgear wg602 AP, the lights are ON and but not pinging and not communicating with the PC for configuration, if anyone resolved the problem do let me know on [snipped]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.