I have an HP Pavilion 740n with a pentium 4 1.6ghz cpu, 2 x 256mb RAM (max RAM is 2gig) and onboard graphics.

My problem is I wanted to upgrade the video card and RAM so I bought a card and a 512mb stick. I took out the 2 256mb sticks and added 2 512mb before putting the fx card in. Now when I power on the comp it starts but makes a loud beep for a few seconds, stops then does it again, no picture on the monitor either.

I tried putting the 256mb sticks in and the same thing happens. Also there was an AGP card in the machine but not installed. Before sticking that in there I was having the same problems with the loud beep but could eventually get to the BIOS. Having the video card seemed to help even though it wasn't installed, comp always started correctly and never crashed.

I even tried all possible combinations including the new card and taking both out. Now when I power on the comp it starts but makes a loud beep for a few seconds, stops then does it again, no picture on the monitor either.

I hope someone can help, if you need more specs I will have to look them up because I forgot. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Unplug PC. Remove video card(s). Install original memory. Clear CMOS. Plug back in and try to boot. Describe what happens then.

one of the items may be defective, or unsupported by your pc.

one of the items may be defective, or unsupported by your pc.

I think most probably your processor is defective> Just last week I had a problem like that with my PC it powers up but never boots and has this long beeping sound so I'd suggest you try looking at the processor.

Sorry about the late response but I had no computer. I ended up buying a refurbished comp while I look more into the problems of the other one.

First I did do what Willcomp suggested and ended up with the same results even in multiple configs. When I have time I will look into the cpu on the old beast, I have another cpu I know works so I will just slap that on and see what happens.

Thanks everyone

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.