I have 3 computers that curently use xp pro. All of these were puchased used and are fully licenced to use this software. ( I have legit keys ). however I don't have a oem install disk. all I have is self made restore disks and would like to puchase a retail copy of xp pro. Do I need upgrade software or full version and what is the difference? 2 machines are win2k upgraded to xp pro and one is an oem install. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What's the purpose of the new disk?
Any chance of getting the disks you should have received with these machines?
Why not just make a disk image?

if you are going tp purchase Xp PRO get the full version, you can do upgrades or full install with it, more over the cd is bootable and upgrade cd can only be run from within an operating system.

I recently had a pretty serious drama unfold after updating to ie7 on one of the machines. This has cosumed many hours and produced many new gray hairs. If I had a disk I think I would have bagged it and formated and reinstalled. And no I cannot get the system disks that came with although I wish I could. If I buy a full retail version and I alredy have keys on all these machines can I use that disk to repair/reinstall on all three or do I need separate software for each??? Thank again Andy

Here is what you do, get the keys from the present installation you have runnig not, Use this program

it will find the key for you present Windows XP, these keys would have already been registered with windows, so you can use the one cd to install on many PC with diifferent cd key.

Because according to Microsoft, one cd comes with 1 key, and you would nt be able to use the same key on different machine, in reality you can but you would nto be able to activate and get updates. therefore the procedure above will able you to get the key for each machine you have windows on now. save the keys and use with the retail full copy you buy.

Thank you, worked pefectly. 2 of my computers were oem installs so they have stickers on the case but one is an upgrade from win2k pro. Any idea where to find the best price on microsoft software. should i search the web or just go to local mega-mart retail??

If I buy a full retail version and I alredy have keys on all these machines can I use that disk to repair/reinstall on all three or do I need separate software for each??? Thank again Andy

you do not need to buy and new software if you have a friend or co-worker who has xp pro dis k,they can make you a copy of theres and you can use that .I do it all the time with customers computers that had oem install and no disk ,but have key on the case .i just use a copy of home or pro that i got from a friend ,as i only had a oem restore version with my own tower .

Thank you, thank you, thank you, hughv, bobbyraw, caperjack for your time and insight. I found a friend who had a unused system builders disk from a previous project he never completed. no phone tech support but I'm not sure that will be missed... I havn't found them terribly usefull to date. I've been pondering and asking about this for 3 months now and this is the first straight answer I've received. Thanx again, Andy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.