I am not sure how to get the laptop stop from restarting. Here what I did with my laptop to startup and the information below?

Turn the laptop on to startup and you see the logo of Windows XP Home Edition on the screen for a few second then went back into restarting the laptop itself for what reasons I don't know.

Then I decided to tap the key F8 to see if I can get into the listing on the screen.

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Confuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode
Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

I decide to highlight the line with "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)"

Please select the operating system to start.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Press ENTER to choose.

For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F*

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) in blue higlight on the bottom of the screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't work after highlight above because the laptop went back to into restarting in the same circle.

Then I decided to give a try to see if I can tap the key F8 again and choose to highlight " Safe Mode " I never saw this before myself and here is what I got on the screen below:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\xxxx.sys

I got about between 30 to 40 lines with different drivers information in System 32. I am not sure about this. Anyway I did ran the Hard Drive Self Test to see if the hard drive is damaged or not. The report said 100 percent with no problem in three different runs with:

Quick Test pass

Comprehensive Test pass

S.M.A.R.T. Test pass

100% Complete

The next thing I did is to tap the key F8 to see if I can get into Safe Mode again. As you see above with the information start with "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\xxxx.sys

I continue to tap F8 till I see the Safe Mode on the screen but all you can see is the black screen with four corners with words Safe Mode and the line with Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600) on top line. Then the laptop went into restarting again after show above.

Now what is the next step for me to get the laptop working in normal mode not restarting mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

you should have hit the enter key when you had this hi-lited .
Last Known Good Configuration
next step is to boot laptop to the windows cd and go to the windows recovery repair ,and run chkdsk /f

how to use recovery console,not you may not need admin password when it asked, just hit enter when asked for it .,unless you have used admin password

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Thanks for your time to reply and there's no further to go with this laptop. I already did this to highlight the line as you mentioned it and boot laptop to windows cd and go to the windows recover repair, and run chkdks /f. Still the same thing with the laptop restarting over and over again. No cure to fix this.

Thank you,

John

Thanks for your time to reply and there's no further to go with this laptop.
Thank you,

John

you could try a format and reinstall of winxp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.