I hope this is the right place to post this thread. I just got a used Sony DVD player for my computer and it seems to read CD-ROMs fine but yesterday I tried to put a DVD in it and XP pops up a message asking me what I want to read the DVD with. Apparently XP can't read DVDs, cause that wasn't an option, so I chose Real Player and it gives me a message saying it can't read the DVD because my computer is missing software? I don't understand why this happens.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by caperjack
Featured Replies

Yeah... I think it has something to do with a certain player. Try downloading Cyberlink DVD. I use this and it works good. But this should allow you to play DVD's

you might be missing some codec and other decompresser for the video format. A good FREE program is DIVX. Also if you have all the correct DVD codec /decompresser you can use windows media player to play any DVD.

I installed DIVX and it still doesn't work. When I put in the DVD real player is the only option I had to play it and that still doesn't work so I uninstalled real player now there is no option for playing the DVD; only opening files. When I ran DIVX there is no option to play the DVD there either.

YAY! I tried k-lite codec and I can finally watch DVDs! Thanks Caperjack. Thanks for your suggestion as well Maui; I tried DIVX first because I had heard of it and I don't know why that didn't work, possibly because I had 2 codecs installed because when I installed K-lite it told me to unistall OGG codec? I don't know but at least it's working now. I could have had this working sooner but for some reason I didn't get notification emails. Anyway, thanks everyone.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.