I hope this is the right place to post this thread. I just got a used Sony DVD player for my computer and it seems to read CD-ROMs fine but yesterday I tried to put a DVD in it and XP pops up a message asking me what I want to read the DVD with. Apparently XP can't read DVDs, cause that wasn't an option, so I chose Real Player and it gives me a message saying it can't read the DVD because my computer is missing software? I don't understand why this happens.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Yeah... I think it has something to do with a certain player. Try downloading Cyberlink DVD. I use this and it works good. But this should allow you to play DVD's

you might be missing some codec and other decompresser for the video format. A good FREE program is DIVX. Also if you have all the correct DVD codec /decompresser you can use windows media player to play any DVD.

Codec! Thats the word I was looking for! Ha

Cyberlink DVD comes with that codec..just to let you know

You are welcome Mallard

Thanks! I think I'll try DIVX and see if that works.

I installed DIVX and it still doesn't work. When I put in the DVD real player is the only option I had to play it and that still doesn't work so I uninstalled real player now there is no option for playing the DVD; only opening files. When I ran DIVX there is no option to play the DVD there either.

Try my suggestion... Cyberlink DVD works great

Just try one of the free ones to see if it works

YAY! I tried k-lite codec and I can finally watch DVDs! Thanks Caperjack. Thanks for your suggestion as well Maui; I tried DIVX first because I had heard of it and I don't know why that didn't work, possibly because I had 2 codecs installed because when I installed K-lite it told me to unistall OGG codec? I don't know but at least it's working now. I could have had this working sooner but for some reason I didn't get notification emails. Anyway, thanks everyone.

good to hear you got it to work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.