i just used avg antivirus to remove a limit.exe worm from my computer. After removing them and restarting my system, xp does not log in. It gets to the user login and after choosing a user it begins to load the personal setting and immediately logs back out to the user login screen.

Any ideas on how I can fix this. I will really appreciate your help.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi and welcome! I suggest you try booting in safe mode. Before windows starts to load, hold F8. When in safe mode run another scan using avg - let us know how it goes! good luck

hold F8

dont hold f8. tap f8

I thought you had to hold it -my mistake lol

if you hold it , on some computers the bios will disable the keyboard and beep a lot at you

Oh I see, my notebook doesn't do that you see!

I have already tried to boot to safe mode but its the same thing it does not boot. Someone also suggested that I slave the hard disk and delete the user profile. That did not work either. Thanks for the help

I was able to log in to safe mode, and like you suggested i scanned again. It found some files that were still infected, but after deleting them, the system still doesn't log in.

get your xp cd and (in safe mode) go to run and type

sfc /scannow

I was able to log in to safe mode, and like you suggested i scanned again. It found some files that were still infected, but after deleting them, the system still doesn't log in.

how where you able to log in on safe mode? im having the same problem, someone suggested i just restore my computer but i got a school paper thats due this friday and i cant loose that file.

get your xp cd and (in safe mode) go to run and type

what if i dont have an xp cd anymore?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.