Hey,

I'm having problems with my OS. At random times - right after I press Ctrl + 'S', the system just restarts (which is annoying because whatever I just tried to save is lost). It's happened around 4 or 5 times so far, but they've all been spread apart. But just today it happened twice in a row - which really ticked me off. My first thought was that some key combo near ctrl + 'S' is causing the computer to restart - but whenever I log in I get a message saying that the system has recovered from a serious error, so I'm guessing it's not that.

The error signature is as follows:
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 804DC033 BCP3 : EF775C80
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

When I tell windows to send an error report to Microsoft, it says the error was due to a problem with a device driver. This is the page I got:

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused Windows to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem report summary

Problem type
Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?
No

What does this problem mean?
Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause
Unknown

Computer symptoms
A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take
Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

url:http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/10/en-us/5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0?SGD=38287a3b-f3e3-4df8-9033-73b123ab5322

Anyone know why this is happening?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

chkdsk /r from the windows recovery console usually fixes device conflicts for me,you will need the winxp cd tp do this .
how to use the recovery with the Windows CD-ROM in the cd-drive start your computer. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press 'R" to repair. athe promt usually you need to type in 1 then enter if asked for password just hit enter .at the prompt ,type in with out the quotes ., "chkdsk /r " note there is a space between / and R ,it may take awhile to run ,don't interrupt the chkdsk leave it run for as long as it takes . .

what device have you installed recently. boot into safe mode with network go tot he manufacturer website and download the latest drive. (extract if you have to ) then remove the device though system properties and reboot, when windows find the new device browse to the folder you have the new drivers saved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.