I am new to DANIWEB. I am desperate because I bought a laptop on the internet a year plus ago and it locks up/freezes up/cpu loop/ or whatever the lingo translates to. I retired from IBM after 35 1/2 years and have 8 software patents in the mainframe world. I have a problem with this PC locking up at least once a day. When it does, the cursor doesn't move and the windows task manager doesn't get any cycles to help identify the problem. I have run SPYBOT, AD-AWARE, and others but can't find the problem ( I payed for Registry Fix ). I have deleted all the temp files (even rebooted into safe mode) and still lock up about once a day. I haven't read the 2500+ appends here but hope somebody can help. I close everything and play spider solataire in the evenings and it fails with only 20+ processes runnings.

Please help..
H

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Do you mean you can't do anything, including task manager, when this happens or that the cursor freezes and task manager says nothing is going?

It could be a bad hard-drive, they can be pretty vulnerable on laptops, but I need a little more info to narrow it down.

Yes. Cursor and everything is frozen for 25-30 seconds, then 1-2 seconds ok before back to freeze. Windows task manager and everything else I have tried can't track the cpu or the problem. Except for the 1-2 second intervals, there is nothing that I can do except power off.

That's very strange, I'd use teh task-mangers performance tab to monitor what's actually happening during the freezes. Leave it open and minimized (it will keep a chart of your resource utalization) and click to it after the system freezes. If something is maxing out a resource during the freeze you know it's an issue with a program, if it's idling low during freeze you know it's something else.

Windows task manager hasn't helped me so I installed freeware GLINT.EXE which is a neat program showing cpu and all kinds of things including what is running. I also installed What's Running. Nothing has helped because whatever is looping is below the external processes. The WTM doesn't show anything about the problem. Minimizing will only allow maybe a hope during one of the brief intervals if I can move the cursor fast enough.

The performance Of Windows task manager did spike to 100% for a very brief time. I believe the performance meter takes about 5 seconds per verticle line in it. The spike is less than one second even though the hangup is a long time. Amazingly, I did experience a longer interval of thing running.

Could this be a hardware problem?

Thank you OlyComputer. I am dissapointed in the experts. Goodbye.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.