Antivirus XP 2008 arrived on my machine today uninvited! I think I have managed to get rid of all of the files but now I am unable to change my wallpaper. Half of the tabs are missing when I go into "Properties for my desk top. I have been working for about 3 hours on this and have followed all of the advice I could find via google re: making dhanges via regedit etc. Nothing seems to work....

HELP!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This looks as if it has solved my problem

Remove Antivirus XP 2008
by RemoveAntivirus - 6/24/08 12:55 AM
In reply to: Antivirus XP 2008 Do a System Restore to remove by Frebyrd305
This is how I got rid of Antivirus XP 2008. It is different than the XP Antivirus 2008 most sites refer to.

First you need to stop the program from loading on startup. This is what you do to stop it:

Start, run

Type msconfig

Go to Startup tab

Uncheck lphc35dj0e1an
Uncheck rhc75dj0e1an

Click apply, then ok
Restart computer

Then you need to delete the main files this program uses. Delete the following file:

C:\windows\system32\lphc35dj0e1an.exe

Then delete the following folder and all files in it:

C:\program files\rhc75dj0e1an

This should remove the program from your system but you probably still have a warning message displayed as your wallpaper in Windows and the virus removed the ability to change the wallpaper or your desktop settings.

To restore ability to change your desktop settings and select a different wallpaper and screen saver do the following:

Start, run

type Gpedit.msc

Navigate to User configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, Display

Right click on Remove Display in Control Panel
Click on Properties and select Disabled

Do the same steps to change the following attributes to disabled:

Hide Desktop Tab
Prevent changing wallpaper
Hide Apperance and Themes tab
Hide Settings tab
Hide Screen Saver tab

oldman 137, Thank you very much, that virus scared the heck out of me. I followed your excellent instructions and it completely fixed my computer. Thanks again.

You should also try running the following;

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

Thanks crunchie, it is still scanning and it has found 6 more as of right now. Thanks again.

No worries. Don't forget to actually remove the entries, as per my above instructions :)

Fantastic explanation on how to remove this nasty virus, thanks mate :cool:

Antivirus XP 2008 arrived on my machine today uninvited! I think I have managed to get rid of all of the files but now I am unable to change my wallpaper. Half of the tabs are missing when I go into "Properties for my desk top. I have been working for about 3 hours on this and have followed all of the advice I could find via google re: making dhanges via regedit etc. Nothing seems to work....

HELP!

malawarebytes works for me.You have to do it in safe mode with networking then do it in windows.don't forget go get rid of it in add and remove also.JCC

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.