Hey everyone
kruser here (newbie) just joined today asus MB a7n8x=e deluxe, windows xp
I'm trying to rebuild an old system, mostley used parts but all working last time they were used. All new memory, new AGP graphics card(ati raedon 1650) everything else is used.
Athlon xp 3000+ cpu, 3g ram.
I'm trying to boot from my old harddrive from another computer, everything goes well,
recognises hardrive etc. but when booting up I just get a faint windows logo screen then the computer tries to reboot again. Tried to boot from the windows xp disc smae thing happens except when the logo screen comes up the computer shuts off.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, kruser

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hey everyone
kruser here (newbie) just joined today asus MB a7n8x=e deluxe, windows xp
I'm trying to rebuild an old system, mostley used parts but all working last time they were used. All new memory, new AGP graphics card(ati raedon 1650) everything else is used.
Athlon xp 3000+ cpu, 3g ram.
I'm trying to boot from my old harddrive from another computer, everything goes well,
recognises hardrive etc. but when booting up I just get a faint windows logo screen then the computer tries to reboot again. Tried to boot from the windows xp disc smae thing happens except when the logo screen comes up the computer shuts off.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, kruser

I just had very similar symptoms and it turned out the hard drive had too many read errors. I had those symptoms even running from a Knoppix disk then ran a Ubuntu disk and it reported read errors over and over I tested drive as a secondary drive in another computer and it would recognize the drive in the BIOS but windows disk management couldnt see it and Knoppix couldn't mount it. I replaced the drive and everything worked perfectly.

Try....

Alternative Start Mode

1. Re-boot PC, as it starts tap F8 several times until the windows boot window appears.
2. Scroll to “Start with last known good configuration.)
3. Press “Enter”

Or
1. Re-boot PC, as it starts tap F8 several times until the windows boot window appears.
2. Scroll to “Safe Mode” (With networking, if you want to access the internet)
3. Press “Enter”

If you can get windows to start....
1. Right click your disk drive icon (normally “C”),
2. Click “Properties.”
3. Click “Tools”
4. In “Error checking” click “Check Now”
5. Check the 2 boxes, “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
6. Click “Start”
7. At the pop-up window “The disk check could not……” Click “Yes”
8. Re-boot your PC and allow disk checker to start. (Do not press any key before it starts)

Or if that will not work try.....

To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..

1. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
2. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
3. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
4. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
5. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
6. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
7. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
8. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
9. Press “R”
10. Enter serial number when prompted.
11. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
12. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
13. PC will re-boot.

Thanks Guy's
My hard drive is good cuase I have put it back in another machine and it works fine.
I will try the other suggestions asap.
thnaks again -- kruser

Assuming that the boot-up screen and the windows loading screens are all ok while you are booting windows, the only possibility I can see is that there is an error in your hard drive or windows programme.

I also assume that you have loaded all the correct drivers for the hardware that you have installed on this new machine? If not that would most probably be the problem. Go into safe mode and load the video driver first. If it will not go into safe mode, put your hard drive back into the other PC, load the driver there and then back to this PC.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.