I have heard so many horror stories about this new Anti Virus 2009 Virus.
I popped up on my screen next thing i know it is scanning my pc.
So i just pulled the plug and wiped the hard drive and put g os back on it agin.
Anybody else had any stories on this

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

"just pulled the plug and wiped the hard drive"
Drastic, but It would work. But first you fight, esp if there is data, a configuration hard built worth saving.

I had a user pick this up here at work. I followed a couple different guides online for removing it but managed to make logging on and off take 4-5 minutes in the process so I ended up just reimaging the machine.

This one is especially painful because it disables regedit and the task manager so you have to work around all of its tricks.

Sounds like it might be the Gatina-B worm. Suss this Avast! page http://www.avast.com/eng/win32-gatina-b.html.

Youse really should have a good current anti-virus up and working :icon_idea:

Gordon.

good currant antivirus helps but doesn't always catch it or its different variants ,latest is called antispy 2009 i think ,download ccleaner to have install and use to clean temp files and folders .

Here's what we do here at home to stop it from installing on computer . because all commands on the first screen that pops up are "yes" like, cancel /no/ the X in the corner !
don't touch anything ,do a ctrl+alt+del , go applications and end task , open and run ccleaner scan harddrive and clean out temps ,reboot computer ,Remember ,next time you open browser if it asks if you want to restore last time connected say no and start new ! or else it will try and load scan 2009 all over again

Here's what we do here at home to stop it from installing on computer . because all commands on the first screen that pops up are "yes" like, cancel /no/ the X in the corner !

Ah yes, the "brain" option ;) ... Like in IE, disable "Install on demand (IE)" and "Install on demand (other)"; check for certificates and signatures; learn how to use the Internet Options>Security tab to minimise the ActiveX disaster and disable META REFRESH, etc.

In Windows Explorer set the Folder Options to Show Hidden Files and Folders, and UNhide file extensions. Make sure the file type icon matches the extension :-O

If you're on DSL, choose a router with NAT Addressing, which usually has a built-in hardware firewall :icon_cool:

One I use is for not-too-big files: you need a decent text editor which can take MegaByte size files. Just have a look at the first few "lines" and see if they contain the proper headers. Scan/search the file for evidence of C, VB, etc.

Gordon.

Member Avatar for willis100

I can't say for sure how you pick up this crap, but, the quick and easy way to rid a machine of it is to download, update, and run the trial version of SuperAntispyware.....Gets it every time...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.