I recently bought a new laptop with windows vista home edition (64bit). Ever since I have not been able to go online and check my work email (which is done by logging in to an employee portal site).When I do that Iexplorer crashes and I get the following message:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library
Runtime Error!
Program c:\Program File (x86)\Internet explorer\iexplore.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information

When I press OK a box appears that gives me options to either shut it down or look for a fix online
The details of the problem are the following:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 7.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918f11
Fault Module Name: dlumd32.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.6.16155.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 49469596
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 0001115f
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2aed
Additional Information 2: d1fc2391b31363d9e673b2af8772dbe4
Additional Information 3: 3b9d
Additional Information 4: b19c4e76e6a9bf1e2e3c9e6d88aaa53b

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Can anyone help?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Program c:\Program File (x86)\Internet explorer\iexplore.exe

what's with the x86?

Thats normal. On 64 bit editions of windows, there is a seperate 32 and 64 versions of most of the system directories like Program Files. IE is a 32 bit app so it lives there.

Are you up to date with updates? SP1?

Thats normal. On 64 bit editions of windows, there is a seperate 32 and 64 versions of most of the system directories like Program Files. IE is a 32 bit app so it lives there.

Are you up to date with updates? SP1?

I downloaded all the updates as soon as I got the system. I did not know that there are two sperate IE version. I found two versions in the start menu one is a 32 and the other 64 bit. When I use the 64 bit version I am able to open my email without any problems. The problem occurs only with the 32 bit version. My problem is solved. Thanks for your help.

you could always solve all your ie problems by using firefox! by by a superior browser.. not sure if they have a 32 and a 64 but version though!..

it doesntr matter

you can just run the 32 bit one

Hello,

Well i might be able to solve your problem.

I to had Internet Explorer crashing, but on my XP machine...

I never use IE on my Vista machine, cause i use firefox, but IE on Vista has never crashed.

This is how i fixed it on my XP machine. I just downloaded and install IE8, it has been great and not one problem since!

You can download it from here. If you have any problems, please post back.

Enjoy,

Cohen :)

Here's how to solve this annoying problem:

0. You probably should start off by being logged in with your Domain Admin account.

1. Create a folder off the root of your C: drive. My username is toms, so I created C:\toms

2. Click on Run and type REGEDIT

3. Follow this path:
HKCURRENTUSER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Explorer > Shell Folders

4. Create a backup of your registry by exporting and saving the file to some other part of your file structure. You can always go back to this by double-clicking on the file name

5. In the right-hand pane of the registry editor, find all paths with UNC references and change them to the local folder that you created in Step 1.

6. Make the same sort of changes in another folder on this same path called "User Shell Folders".

Error is common usually it occures

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.