my computer has been having less and less memory every day. Ive deleted programs that i dont need anymore, but i know there are tons of things still on my computer that i dont need. thats my problem. how can i tell if i need or dont need something, because i dont want to end up deleting somehting important to the computer. I notice when i go into WINNT there are tons of files and then in systems 32 there are also alot of files too. I dont know which ones i need andwhich ones i dont. can someone please help me? thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I agree with caperjack. If you are in the WINNT and the System32 file, Get out. Those files are very sesitive and one false move... and disaster (well, most of the time.) If you want to clear up space, try uninstalling programs that you do not need anymore

my computer has been having less and less memory every day. Ive deleted programs that i dont need anymore, but i know there are tons of things still on my computer that i dont need. thats my problem. how can i tell if i need or dont need something, because i dont want to end up deleting somehting important to the computer. I notice when i go into WINNT there are tons of files and then in systems 32 there are also alot of files too. I dont know which ones i need andwhich ones i dont. can someone please help me? thanks

Hi... nice document by Marc Saltzman dated June 28th 2005 on the Microsoft Website called "do a clean sweep of your computer".. its pretty long... this is an extract...:confused:
Do a clean sweep of your computer

How to safely remove software and files from your PC

Published: June 28, 2005
By Marc Saltzman
Like many mothers, Andrea Grace will sit down at her PC to check e-mail, only to find that her kids, Jason, 8, and Rachel, 10, have installed some new programs. "Between those CD-ROM games found in cereal boxes and downloaded Neopets, there are now icons all over the place," says Grace. "And of course they don't play half the games. If I ran out of space I wouldn't know how to delete them," she admits.
Grace isn't aloneā€”it's not uncommon to fill space on a hard drive with games, productivity programs, or files, such as music, digital photos, and video clips. Some technology analysts believe that we use less than 10 percent of the programs installed on our computer.
So, considering you're likely to do some spring cleaning in the coming months by removing old and unwanted clutter from your closets and garage, why not tidy up your computer as well?
While deleting programs is relatively easy, many novice computer users believe they can be removed by simply deleting their icon on the desktop. This does not work as it's only a shortcut to ..etc.
:cool: If you need a copy email me, if your own search does not work. Thankx..

This may sound like a strange solution, but what I do (about once a week usually,) is just back up my important files onto a cd/dvd and re-install windows. Gives you all that nice hard disk space back!

commented: Nice of him to reply +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.