I have never done anything with an intranet and I am trying to learn how to set one up. If someone could give me information from start to finish on how to set one up, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I have never done anything with an intranet and I am trying to learn how to set one up. If someone could give me information from start to finish on how to set one up, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

It is hard to answer because your question is vague. Anytime you have 2 or more computers connected behind a router using non-routable IP addresses (for example 192.168.x.x) you have an Intranet. If you are talking about hosting a webpage for your internal network that starts with a determination of what you want to get out of it. What is its purpose and then you can start to find the best way to meet those requirements. Setting up a web server that internal users login to is not hard but does require some support and knowledge.

OS??

Linux?? Windows??

Distro? (if Linux)

Version?(If Windows)

The absics of an intranet remain the same no matter which you use but I just wanted to try and walk you through setting one up.
But its easy.. all you do is put a machine behind your firewall and block all external connections to this machine.

If ths system is running other services then block ONLY port 80.

I really cannot give you the hands on until I know what OS your using.

Then I can walk you through setting up a sample page.

Make sure the name is registered via your dns so you can call it by:

http://yourpcname/

And not have to hit it via:

http://192.168.x.x/

If using Windows, what version of Internet Information Services (IIS) do you have?

The main difficulty with setting up an intranet against a backdrop of the Internet is setting proxy exceptions. Just create a page and save it somewhere, run it from that location, job done.

Just to expand slightly, I think to have an intranet using www addresses would be quite difficult. any reason not just to save it to a shared folder, and get people to connect throught that folder address. Dreamweaver or Frontpage would make a nice site and would sort out extra files and stuff in your folder, as well as the site structure.

i have iis 5.0
and i want to upload a web site on my intranet

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.