I was told to go and update windows and now there is two operating systems and my computer is not working. It does not recognize my start toolbar or anything else. I cannot get into anything unless it is on my desktop.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If you can remember the name of your other account (probably "owner" or something similar) then you should be able to go to:
my computer
c drive (or whichever drive it's installed on)
documents and settings
and then into the account name that was previously used (in the first windows install)
and then desktop. All of your icons and everything should still be there.

Bad news.... all of the things that were installed, however, probably won't run... because when you reinstall windows, it erases, and makes a new "registry" which is a place of settings for windows to use. All of the programs that get installed use this mystical "registry".... and so the programs that were installed on the first windows installation, most likely will not work on the second.

If you can remember the name of your other account (probably "owner" or something similar) then you should be able to go to:
my computer
c drive (or whichever drive it's installed on)
documents and settings
and then into the account name that was previously used (in the first windows install)
and then desktop. All of your icons and everything should still be there.

Bad news.... all of the things that were installed, however, probably won't run... because when you reinstall windows, it erases, and makes a new "registry" which is a place of settings for windows to use. All of the programs that get installed use this mystical "registry".... and so the programs that were installed on the first windows installation, most likely will not work on the second.

I just realize how I responded to what you posted, and I apologize. I misunderstood your situation. The unfortunate event that you have recently encountered... sounds to me, like the only solution is to format the drive, and cleanly install windows again (without EITHER copy on the computer).

Comatose I would highly suggest that you do editing to your post by pressing the editing button before the mods catch you double posting.

Normally I would have... I just am not thinking straight tonight. I can't delete it now :(, but thanx for the head's up.

Either I'm just that computer illiterate or I do not understand how to do what you are saying. I do not know how to reformat my comp but I don't really care what I loose as long as I get my comp back in working order.

Ok,

If you have an XP CD (or whatever version you ultimately want to install) then you need to put the CD in the drive, and turn off the computer, then turn the computer back on, and boot to the CD. This might require that you go into setup (you know, that whole, hit del to enter setup thing at the begining... it might be f1, or some other variation, but the idea is the same), and make sure that the first boot device is set to CD-Rom.... that way you know you can boot to the CD. Depending on what version of windows you will be installing, will determine the actual process... but at some point (I know in XP it does) you will need to work with partitions. There is a tutorial on installing windows XP, if you Click here It will take you to microsoft's walkthrough regarding installing XP. Remember To Follow the steps, that you need to delete a partion, and then make a new partition, using the max size. Then install on the newly installed partition....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.