I'm not sure exactly how long this has been going on but I do know that it's been a problem for at least 2 weeks now. I can't get programs that are supposed to open up new windows to work right.

For example: When I go to my school's website and click on the link for Student Records, it's supposed to open the link in a new window.... but it never does.

Another example: I click on Start > Search.... and nothing comes up.

When I'm in IE and have the problem, the original screen freezes for a short while but then goes back to normal w/o opening the new window. During that time I can switch tasks just fine, but when I click on that original one again, it says it's not responding for nearly a minute before going back to normal.

I've run Norton Virus Scan, as well as all the System Works diagnostics. I've also tried doing System Restore to older dates as well as running a Scan Disk, no problems have been found, and I can't restore to an old dates.

Anyone have any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Thanks for the reply Cat. I actually found a thread here yesterday regarding the problem with IE, and that's what prompted me to post mine. My problem doesn't only appear to be with IE. I did the other "fixxes" and am still having the same problem. Any more ideas?

try ,
start /run ,type in SFC /scannow

try ,
start /run ,type in SFC /scannow

I tried that, since I found that in another thread somewhere and here is what happened.....

I click on Start > Run > type in SFC....

A DOS window pops up really quickly and disappears, then I'm brought back to the run box. Is that what is supposed to happen? When can I put in /scannow?

I tried that, since I found that in another thread somewhere and here is what happened.....

I click on Start > Run > type in SFC....

A DOS window pops up really quickly and disappears, then I'm brought back to the run box. Is that what is supposed to happen? When can I put in /scannow?

with xp you have to type it all at the same time with a space between sfc and this /scannow

with xp you have to type it all at the same time with a space between sfc and this /scannow

I tried that and it went through the scan w/o any problems. The issue I'm having is still there though. I'm wondering if I have to reinstall my OS to fix it... I uninstalled SP2 also and still no fix yet.

For example: When I go to my school's website and click on the link for Student Records, it's supposed to open the link in a new window.... but it never does.

that could be cause by a popup stopper .if you have one installed or if you are using the winxp sp2 one ,try holding down the CTRL key or maybe the ALT key ,when you click on the link .

Another example: I click on Start > Search.... and nothing comes up.

When I'm in IE and have the problem, the original screen freezes for a short while but then goes back to normal w/o opening the new window. During that time I can switch tasks just fine, but when I click on that original one again, it says it's not responding for nearly a minute before going back to normal.

I've run Norton Virus Scan, as well as all the System Works diagnostics. I've also tried doing System Restore to older dates as well as running a Scan Disk, no problems have been found, and I can't restore to an old dates.

Anyone have any ideas?

This problem could occur because of Spyware , go on over to the Security section of this fourm and post you problem along with a hijackthis log .
Spyware & Trojans and Other Nasties
Please Don't post the hijackthis log in this section Thanks .

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. HijackThis
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

Or HERE if that link fails to work or you don't have a zip program installed .

Your copy of HijackThis needs to be in a folder of it's own. When HJT fixes anything, it makes backups of the original files in the folder it is in. Since Temporary folders are emptied now and then (the files are DELETED), it would not be a good idea to have your backups there. Those backups would be VITAL to restoring your system if something went wrong in the FIX process!

1. Please go to you're 'My Documents' folder, right-click and select 'New > Folder' then name the folder 'HJT'.

2. Copy and paste HijackThis.exe to the new folder.

3. Close ALL windows except HJT

4. SCAN with HJT

5. POST the new log in this thread using 'Add Reply'

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CLICK "FIX CHECKED" UNTIL WE CHECK THE LOG, AS SOME OF THE FILES ARE LEGIT AND VITAL TO YOUR COMPUTER'S HEALTH

Doing all of that was a bit difficult since each link you put in opens in a new window and I wasn't able to do that.

I'm going to post the log file now, hopefully something will come of it. From your post though, I'm not sure you saw all of my original post or the ones following.

I have Yahoo Toolbar, but Popup Blocker has been turned off so I can do my online classes. I had SP2 installed, but the Microsoft Firewall has been turned off since install because I didn't need an extra blocker, and I have a hardware firewall.

This problem has only been going on for 1-2 weeks, and I've had this computer since November. It's not (at least I don't think it can be) Spyware as I have Spybot S&D installed as well as Adaware, and I've run both and have come up clean. It's not a virus either since I have Norton AV installed and have run the scan as well as the free scan from McAfee.

Ha!

First of all, I apologize if I seemed hostile in my last post caper, I didn't mean to.

Second, after reading through my posts here, I realized that the extra info I just posted wasn't in this thread but one on another site that I posted regarding this issue.

Thank you for the help you and cat have given me so far. I'm going to post my HJT log and problem in the Security Forum and hope that someone might be able to see something that's going on here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.