Pixels reduced to 640x480 week ago on 16 colors.
Since then have tried:
Download / install new drivers (NVidia Vanta LT) / Restore to month earlier, then a complete restore to factory settings / Switching monitor and cable / Wiggle and take out and replace video card / BIOS check - (AIDA 32 said over 2 yrs old but compaq has no updates on site). Full virus check (-ve)
Exclamation mark by display adaptor but refuses to be deleted. Is it time to give up and buy a new video card?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old sore eyes, Caro

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Pixels reduced to 640x480 week ago on 16 colors.
Since then have tried:
Download / install new drivers (NVidia Vanta LT) / Restore to month earlier, then a complete restore to factory settings / Switching monitor and cable / Wiggle and take out and replace video card / BIOS check - (AIDA 32 said over 2 yrs old but compaq has no updates on site). Full virus check (-ve)
Exclamation mark by display adaptor but refuses to be deleted. Is it time to give up and buy a new video card?

I don't think you installed the drivers correctly. Which version of Windows are you running? Are you downloading the Detonator drivers straight from nVidia? There's nothing wrong with the TNT2-series boards for basic video, unless you are running high-impact games or doing fancy graphics rendering.

The most recent versions of nV drivers must be removed via the Add/Remove Programs menu, or you will get version conflicts. If it does not show in the menu, earlier versions must be removed using a tool appropriate for your version of Windows. A good selection of drivers and tools are available at at http://www.Guru3D.com/download.

More information, please.

I don't think you installed the drivers correctly. Which version of Windows are you running? Are you downloading the Detonator drivers straight from nVidia? There's nothing wrong with the TNT2-series boards for basic video, unless you are running high-impact games or doing fancy graphics rendering.

The most recent versions of nV drivers must be removed via the Add/Remove Programs menu, or you will get version conflicts. If it does not show in the menu, earlier versions must be removed using a tool appropriate for your version of Windows. A good selection of drivers and tools are available at at http://www.Guru3D.com/download.

More information, please.

thankyou for your suggestion i will check out guru. i think you're right, something going wrong with earlier versions. cannot find a way to delete the lines with yellow exclamation marks - get frozen after clicking confirm delete and no better via add/remove prog. i am running windows me on a compaq presario with nvidia vanta lt vid card. the pc is used only for writing (word), so no fancy graphic requirements at all. would sure appreciate it if you have an alternative driver suggestion make that would do the job if i can't crack these deletions.
thanks again caro

Okay, here's how I did: Went to Guru 3D, picked Nasty File Removal Nvidia Tool & ran, Showed 16 Nvidia files & I deleted the lot. Downloaded the Me TNT driver installation straight to PC seemed okay tho had to do the advanced bit because didn’t like the signature.
Still yellow!s under Control Panel/System/Visual Adaptors Vanta but restarted anyway.
Then would only open in safe mode & wouldn’t restore and kept doing a system halt with the msg:

“While initialising device CONFIGMG windows protection error. You need to restart yr computer. System halted.”

Then said hadn’t finished reloading a windows programme so did an uninstall for all things Vanta. Now device mgr showing a yellow question mark next to “other devices and a ! next to PCI VGA compatible display adaptor.

Did I overdelete after the NFR tool? Am I downloading the wrong stuff? Am I out of my (novice) depth?

I have Win Me / Compaq Presario 5000 / 64mb / Nvidia Vanta LT 2 x AGP 8MB Graphics / 20 GB Hard driver. I mainly just use word so don’t need fancy graphics, just my pixels and colors back!

Hit up windows update and check for drivers.

But a Vanta LT is a pretty common card for Presarios. Check Compaq's site, they have things called "Softpaqs" that may have what you need.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.