Im looking for some software that will do backups for me. Something that will backup files from one computer to my other around 3 am or something. I dont want it to make a backup of every file on my computer just the folders i specify. Is there anything out there that i can use?

Also i have a laptop and want to be able to backup stuff from there too. Even sync up between my desktop and laptop.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Im looking for some software that will do backups for me. Something that will backup files from one computer to my other around 3 am or something. I dont want it to make a backup of every file on my computer just the folders i specify. Is there anything out there that i can use?

Also i have a laptop and want to be able to backup stuff from there too. Even sync up between my desktop and laptop.

Hi there, i use a program called "Backup My PC" and you can back up to many formats, including cd burners. you can check it out here http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

Hope this helps

Tim

Depending on your O/S, the system you are running has a backup system.

Hi,

Windows 2000 Pro, and I believe XP Pro, have a utility on them called Windows Backup (WB) that does a decent job of working *once you get it setup properly*. WB in my tests will take your partition and system state, and place it on a network volume, or to another hard drive that wisely wouldn't be part of your backup.

For example, let's say I want to backup C: and D:, and I have a CD-ROM called E: and a fourth device called F: that is strictly for backups. I can tell WB to take the contents from C: and D: and dump them on F:

WB is talented enough to do Full backups, Incremental, Differential, Daily, and I think there is one other option. The backups can append, or make new files.

I do a full backup once a week, and a daily diff. The diffs overwrite each other. Then again, I keep my work on a server that is outside the scope of the WB.

You can also save the data to a tape, or I think a CD burner. Not sure on that one.

If you do go to a network, you will need network credentials to write to the network share. It will ask for credentials.

I also found out that if I wanted to backup a domain server using WB to a network share, the network share also had to be a part of the domain.

BEfore you get too deep into this, lay out on paper what you want to do. BE sure to plan for the case of if your media fails... meaning do not design to just record over the same tape / share / device every day.

CHristian

Just to add to Christian's comments, Windows Backup works with two types of backup media: Tape drives, and any device that has a drive letter. Anything with a drive letter can include other hard drives/folders, network shares mapped to a drive letter, or CD-drives if you're running some type of software like Sonic DLA, Roxio DirectCD, or Nero's InCD. CD/DVD burning is not supported any other way, but if you didn't have those 3 software programs available, you can just take the .bkf file Backup creates and burn it to a DVD or CD.

Personally, if I need to backup my whole drive, I use Ghost over the network, or to CDs. If I just need to backup a particular set of directories, I'll use backup, and then burn the file to DVD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.