Hi,

i got o problem with starting my HP Laptop. A month ago I installed windows 7 and work fine till yesterday, when, after an update on sept 28, the laptop does not start. I mean, it start , nothing came on, and shutdown in 30 sec, start again, shotdown again. I canot enter BIOS, none F1 to F12 + DEL helps.
No ideea what to do.
I can hear a sound like it try to boot , the light came on, all af them, bat shutdown in 30 sec.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

maybe you can give the exact model of your hp laptop? or have you tried the online tech support of hp?

If you aren't even getting to the initial (HP) screen then it is probably a hardware problem. It never gets past the initial hardware status tests and it aborts the boot and then tries to restart. This is all too common on HP laptops.

For my experience with this problem and the way in which I have bypassed the problem you can have a look at the post on my site.

Ok, Thanks...so it's a HP pavilion 9000 bought 3 yeares ago.
The problem is that I can not start it, always it' s black screen. So I can not do anything not a registry cleaner. It try to start, than shuts down, cycling , every 30 sec.I can hear a sound like it try to acces the hard drive. I find out that I have to reset the BIOS but I dont know how.
I can not get into the BIOS.
Thx a lot.

chrishea , thx, I read YOUR SITE and I hold down DELETE button, but nothing hapend. Same thing start, shutdown.

It may take multiple tries. If you did that and you couldn't get it to start then you'll need another solution. Good luck.

Hi,

i got o problem with starting my HP Laptop. A month ago I installed windows 7 and work fine till yesterday, when, after an update on sept 28, the laptop does not start. I mean, it start , nothing came on, and shutdown in 30 sec, start again, shotdown again. I canot enter BIOS, none F1 to F12 + DEL helps.
No ideea what to do.
I can hear a sound like it try to boot , the light came on, all af them, bat shutdown in 30 sec.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Sounds like the update had an adverse effect.
Take the Win7 disc , insert it and start the lappy, at some point you will have the option to either "Install" or enter the "Recovery Console" which is the 1 you want and let it do either a "System Restore" or "Repair Install". Try the "System Restore" 1st.

Sounds like the update had an adverse effect.
Take the Win7 disc , insert it and start the lappy, at some point you will have the option to either "Install" or enter the "Recovery Console" which is the 1 you want and let it do either a "System Restore" or "Repair Install". Try the "System Restore" 1st.

Only flaw in that logic, as far as I can tell, is that NO Windows Update should be causing an inability to access the BIOS. Even a corrupted MBR wouldn't do that. It may even be coincidental that the Update and the Boot failure happened at the same time. What the OP is describing sounds much more likely a hardware failure is at the root of the problem.... the BIOS should be accessible, even if NO OS is installed, or the installed OS is completely shot.

Have you tried to boot using your original disc from hp?

Only flaw in that logic, as far as I can tell, is that NO Windows Update should be causing an inability to access the BIOS.

I stand corrected. What the hell was I thinking!

Have you tried to reset CMOS.
Unplug the AC/Adapter, remove the power battery, remove the bottom panel and look for a quarter size lithium battery, remove it for about a minute or so, then replace it, see if that changes anything.

giving that the win7 install is/should be only a beta copy ,and meant for testing purposes only, there should be no important data on the laptop, so just reinstall win7

Hi,
Yes, I tried using the original recovery disc, I tried using the win7 cd , also I reset CMOS, does not boot.
I wish to reinstall win7 again or reinstall the original vista, but no boot. Can’t enter bios.
Out of ideas
Maybe is a way to enter BIOS…..but how?
Thx.

Hi,
I reset CMOS, does not boot.

Maybe is a way to enter BIOS…..but how?
Thx.

cmos and bios are one in the same !

caperjack, I took out the small battery for 30 min ..is this the BIOS(CMOS) reset? Nothing hapend when I powered on. Still can not acces the BIOS.
Thx

caperjack, I took out the small battery for 30 min ..is this the BIOS(CMOS) reset?
Thx

ok, yes, sorry i thought you meant you got into cmos and reset. you didn't say you remove the battery in any of your post ,
sounds to me like you have a hardware problem ,did you try removing the ram and hard drive to see what happens when you boot ,
also maybe the screen is dead and things are being displaied just not showing on screen ,if you have a external monitor you could try hooking to it ,maybe something will show on screen

I stand corrected. What the hell was I thinking!

No need to be molodramtic. Just trying to avoid OP being sent in circles :)

cmos and bios are one in the same !

No they are not (although commonly thought so). Think of CMOS as hardware and BIOS as firmware. The BIOS config handles most of the CMOS settings, but not all (such as the hard resetting provided by removing CMOS battery). Yes a crude definition, but follow links for a little more :)

CMOS:
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/c/cmos.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmos

BIOS:
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bios.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

@marcilui
Given the hardware issues are facing, Win7 is not your candidate - the Windows Update timing is nothing more than a coincidence. Win Update simply not capable of setting of the issues you are facing.

In all honesty, you need to send it back HP for repair. If you tinker around too much on the internals, you risk voiding your warranty and face being hit with the repair bill yourself! Sorry if this is not the news you wanted.

No they are not

no they are not.
thanks for the links to clarify

kaninelupus I want to thank you for clarifying things, I already sent the laptop back to Hp(throu Best Buy)-still in extended warranty...they told me that the motherboard is the problem...
THX...all of you.

Hi,

I agree that this is almost certainly a hardware problem and nothing to do with Windows. If you cant get to the BIOS then it not getting. As someone said even if Windows had screwed you MBR (the boot secion on your hard drive) you can still access the BIOS setting. From experience I'd look at your power supple first.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.