ok i have windows 2000 and want to install xp over it and would like step by step intruscstions and also is it safe to do that......

how muc memory du i need to intall xp aswell?how much memor will it need???

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

ok i have windows 2000 and want to install xp over it and would like step by step intruscstions and also is it safe to do that......

how muc memory du i need to intall xp aswell?how much memor will it need???

no such thing as 100% safe doing a upgrad with any version of windows .
memory ,i reccomend anthing over 256meg ,over 300 best .
.check this site for info on upgrading different window versions,
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/upgrade.php

how do i check how much memory i got??

ohh i got bout 18.5gb free..is that enough

ohh i got bout 18.5gb free..is that enough

Your confusing ram memory with Hard drive storage memory .
right click on my computer /properties ,and it will show how much ram you have .

it has 256mb RAm is that alright??

it has 256mb RAm is that alright??

that will work ,but more is better ,you should get at least another 128 meg installed

If you're planning to have windows xp with service pack 2 ... then I would recommend atleast 512 mb of ram ... otherwise you can also run windows on 256mb ram fine (I have 256 mb of ram with windows xp sp1) ... but as casperjack said that you'll need another 128 mb for smooth performance.

Agreed. Running Windows XP in 256Mb of RAM works, but it's somewhat like trying to eat ice cream by sucking it up through a straw. You got a bit of a wait while the suction 'melts' the bit you're sucking on! :D

how do i uincrease my RAM

Step 1 - Determine what type of RAM module your system uses
Step 2 - Buy a module of it
Step 3 - Plug it into a spare RAM slot on your motherboard (with the PC turned off, of course)

how do i uincrease my RAM

Take computer to computer shop and have them determine what type of ram is in it,and add some for you .

well i cant be bothered and i just wanna install xp but will my comp get mess'd up and also how can i make it stop crashing??

We arent bothering you about anything either :D .. just suggesting some recommendations .. anywayz your windows will run on 256 mb of ram.

>How can you stop windows to crash ..

If ever there's a crash .. do remember to note the error code (its like this 0X000000xx .. where xx is any digit or letter) and tell us the error code .. we'll tell you its cure.

well i cant be bothered and i just wanna install xp but will my comp get mess'd up and also how can i make it stop crashing??

if you don't know what you are doing then expext the worse when you do try to install windows xp over windows 2000,good luck ,just put the winxp cd in anf boot computer ,have fun

ok thanks i will keep u updated on the errors i get

who is u and why are you telling us you'll keep him/here/them updated?

errr.....

rudeboy is the person seeking assistance in this thread.

duh?

You apparently didn't get it...
I asked who this person called "u" is supposed to be. I know noone of that name and neither is there a member here who responded in this thread who is named such.

sorry for the late post but everything went welthe installations

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.