Hey hey can anyone help my, I have been using a computer with windows 98, the problem was that the C drive was full so naturally I moved some of the files to its D and E drives unfortunately being slightly retarded I inadvertently must have moved some of the files that boot up windows, so when I reset my comp it could not find the relevant files it just says insert systems boot disk and keeps looking in the A: drive every time I press any key. Unfortunately I do not have the windows 98 cd or any kind of recovery disk. Can I get into windows through BIOS or anything clever like that? I would be most grateful if anyone could help my.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Unfortunately, you need SOME way to make the computer boot.
See if a friend has a win 98 startup disk. This will alow you to gain access to the drives and hopefully undo what you did.

Best of luck.

Bob

You should,t make fun of retarted people ,most of them wouldn,t do such a silly thing !:) http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Anyway get a win98 boot disk here and if you know the names of the files you moved you could use the dos copy command to move them back if you don't know the names and where they belong you will have to format and reload windows .also some dos commands here
http://www.ameriwebs.net/groupworks/bob/doswin.htm

Hey hey can anyone help my, I have been using a computer with windows 98, the problem was that the C drive was full so naturally I moved some of the files to its D and E drives unfortunately... I inadvertently must have moved some of the files that boot up windows, so when I reset my comp it could not find the relevant files it just says insert systems boot disk and keeps looking in the A: drive every time I press any key

Moving files around under any version of Windows is dangerous, due to the Windows Registry -- it can't find moved files. Even worse is using a boot disk to try to move stuff back, since there is no long-file-name support under Win 98's DOS mode, and the system stuff often has long names.

I would use a standard Windows 98SE boot disk just this far: using the SYS C: command to re-write the system files to the hard drive to enable you get far enough in for long-file-name support, then go on from there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.