Hey hey can anyone help my, I have been using a computer with windows 98, the problem was that the C drive was full so naturally I moved some of the files to its D and E drives unfortunately being slightly retarded I inadvertently must have moved some of the files that boot up windows, so when I reset my comp it could not find the relevant files it just says insert systems boot disk and keeps looking in the A: drive every time I press any key. Unfortunately I do not have the windows 98 cd or any kind of recovery disk. Can I get into windows through BIOS or anything clever like that? I would be most grateful if anyone could help my.

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by TallCool1

Unfortunately, you need SOME way to make the computer boot.
See if a friend has a win 98 startup disk. This will alow you to gain access to the drives and hopefully undo what you did.

Best of luck.

Bob

Hey hey can anyone help my, I have been using a computer with windows 98, the problem was that the C drive was full so naturally I moved some of the files to its D and E drives unfortunately... I inadvertently must have moved some of the files that boot up windows, so when I reset my comp it could not find the relevant files it just says insert systems boot disk and keeps looking in the A: drive every time I press any key

Moving files around under any version of Windows is dangerous, due to the Windows Registry -- it can't find moved files. Even worse is using a boot disk to try to move stuff back, since there is no long-file-name support under Win 98's DOS mode, and the system stuff often has long names.

I would use a standard Windows 98SE boot disk just this far: using the SYS C: command to re-write the system files to the hard drive to enable you get far enough in for long-file-name support, then go on from there.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.