Hello everyone..
I have recorded a video from my satellite digital receiver device on a USB flash disk..
After I plugged the USB disk into my computer, I noticed that the name of the file contained unusual characters (I've taken a picture of the file and put it in the attachments).. I tried to rename the file, move it, and copy it, but my attempts were all in vain!
Could anyone kindly help me?
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

Try fixing the flash disk using the fixing tool in Windows 7.. You can run it by right-clicking the flash disk drive, then choose Open AutoPlay.. Then choose Scan and Fix.

Thank you..
Ive tried that but the same problem is still facing me!
Its saying "The file name you specified is not valid or too long.
Specify a different file name." However, I'm typing normal short names as I always name my files!

Can you rename, move or copy other folders/files. If can that means this file you are having problem with can be a virus. Do a scan with malwarebytes and see how does it go.

Thank you but as you see Ive said that this file is the file of the recorded video..
Also Everything works fine in the flash disk.

How about scanning it with malwarebytes and your Anti Virus software just to make sure it is not a virus. Do you have other accounts on your computer. If yes use other account and see whether you can rename the file. If that does not work you have to consult the person that send you the file.

Do you have permissions to rename it?

1) What is your OS?
2) have you try starting up in safe mode?
3) Try disabling offline files

I've scanned it.
The user I'm using is an administrator.. I have the permission to rename it of course.
My OS is Windows 7.. I don't think it has to do with the safe mode..
What are the offline files? How should they be relevant to what we're talking about since the file I want to rename (and copy) isn't from the internet?
The file I want to copy is a file that has been created during a process of recording something from TV..
So this file is a recorded video file that was recorded from the TV.
Thanks in advance.

Take another video using the camera and try renaming that file. If you can rename the file that means your other file is most likely to be corrupted.

I think the most simple solution is just to rename the files. Use a shorter name like 'Jamal' or 'Video' and then you can modify, copy it just the way you want...

This problem always occur on website saved folder and because of long trait name and unknown character in the name so just simply rename it if can.

or you can use live cd to rename/copy it for you but I'm not ruling out that it could be the work of virus...

I'm quite sure it's not a virus... IT'S NOT A VIRUS! :)
Say it's corrupted, is there anyway to repair it?? I mean there are more than 590 MB of data in this file.. Will they just vanish? Isn't there any way to retrieve the healthy 590 MBs??

I think the most simple solution is just to rename the files.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.. I'm trying to rename it to a short name.. It doesn't accept to be renamed no matter what the new name is.

or you can use live cd to rename/copy it for you

What is a live CD? Where can I find such one?
Thanks in advance.

A lot of times a file once set up, can not rename, if not very troublesome, suggest you make a file, then use you want to name names

I understood nothing :(

have you tried DOS?

paste the exact file location here & i'll post the command for you to try

have you tried DOS?

paste the exact file location here & i'll post the command for you to try

Thanks but..
I've tried the following in DOS:
I copied the same name of that file and paste it in the DOS and used it in the ren command like this:
ren K:\AL JAMAL FE AL ISLAMÿÿÿÿ[2011-08-01-15-29-10].ts newFile.ts
I also tried the rename command..
Nevertheless, nothing went okay!
I always got the following message:
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
(I've attached an image of what I've done on MS-DOS)
Thanks in advance.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.. I'm trying to rename it to a short name.. It doesn't accept to be renamed no matter what the new name is.

Maybe that file is corrupted so I suggest you check it with chkdsk. Enter the following command in CMD prompt

chkdsk Z: /f /x /r
*replace Z with the drive letter where the file is located.

What is a live CD? Where can I find such one?
Thanks in advance.

A live CD is a bootable CD which instead of boot into your regular windows, it run on your RAM and CD so it won't access to your HDD in case your HDD have problem. I believe you're not a Linux user so I have to rule out 'Ubuntu live cd' but this one is the best one for your problem.

You can download Ubuntu Live CD from Ubuntu official homepage. Download it's .iso file and once downloaded, burn to a blank cd.

or You could try Hiren Boot CD. It's the same as Ubuntu Live CD but instead of Linux, it use MiniXP which is easier to use since you are a windows user. Download from HERE
same process as above.

Then reboot your computer, insert your live cd and boot from it. You may need to press correspondence key to make it boot from cd (F11, F10, ESC, F9 etc.)

Maybe that file is corrupted so I suggest you check it with chkdsk. Enter the following command in CMD prompt

chkdsk Z: /f /x /r
*replace Z with the drive letter where the file is located.

A live CD is a bootable CD which instead of boot into your regular windows, it run on your RAM and CD so it won't access to your HDD in case your HDD have problem. I believe you're not a Linux user so I have to rule out 'Ubuntu live cd' but this one is the best one for your problem.

You can download Ubuntu Live CD from Ubuntu official homepage. Download it's .iso file and once downloaded, burn to a blank cd.

or You could try Hiren Boot CD. It's the same as Ubuntu Live CD but instead of Linux, it use MiniXP which is easier to use since you are a windows user. Download from HERE
same process as above.

Then reboot your computer, insert your live cd and boot from it. You may need to press correspondence key to make it boot from cd (F11, F10, ESC, F9 etc.)

Thank you, flagstar. I tried chkdsk command, but it was in vain (a screeshot is in the attachments)
I think it's because of the name of the file.. All the programs that I tried to use the file with said something like: "FILE NOT FOUND!"
So far I've never found any program to treat this file in any way.

I intend to try the second solution, which is downloading the Hiren Boot CD, and tell you later.
By the way, have I tried the Ubuntu Live CD, will it work on my PC while I'm using Windows OS?
Thanks for helping.

Do what flagstar try first. See this link too. Maybe a software can repair your corrupted files

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-repair-fix

Thank you, but I tried a program to fix TS videos and it showed the following error:
"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
I think it's because of the name of the file.

I think it's because of the name of the file

I agree with you.. It's obviously because of the name not anything else.
I think some channels on TV imply bits of characters in the videos they show so that their names would contain some invalid characters that are hard, or maybe impossible, for a computer to read- a way for protecting their copyrights.
I faced something like this in the past, but I simply deleted the file and downloaded it from the Net :D

commented: about channels- it's new information for me. +3

By the way, have I tried the Ubuntu Live CD, will it work on my PC while I'm using Windows OS?

I think it does work fine since it boots before Windows does.. It's a self-boot CD.

Take another video using the camera and try renaming that file. If you can rename the file that means your other file is most likely to be corrupted.

commented: That's what i said -2

Oh my God! I always face the same problems here. I post my question.. When I find a reply I feel optimistic about it but I end up with repeated suggestions!

Be wary of some posters by looking at their post count. Some poster likes to spam or redirect you to some unknown link which could be dangerous.

Ubuntu live cd will not conflict with windows whatsoever. It's a standalone operatiting system that run on your RAM instead of HDD where your windows partition reside but slower in speed. Ubuntu can rename files without any problem that Windows OS can't unless that particular files is actually unusable or corrupted.

Hiren boot run the same way as Ubuntu does but still using windows as live cd operating system which most people already familiar with it.

Hope this explanation helps you...

Yep.
Thanks but what's the relation between the name of a file and whether it's corrupted or not?

Hello everyone..
I have recorded a video from my satellite digital receiver device on a USB flash disk..
After I plugged the USB disk into my computer, I noticed that the name of the file contained unusual characters (I've taken a picture of the file and put it in the attachments).. I tried to rename the file, move it, and copy it, but my attempts were all in vain!
Could anyone kindly help me?
Thanks in advance.

when you change the name are you tying in the file extension ".ts"

Yep.
Thanks but what's the relation between the name of a file and whether it's corrupted or not?

When you try to play/change name/whatsoever but didn't work out as it should be, it's the sign of corrupted files.

If it does, sorry I don't know how to actually repair your corrupted files...

the file in question is a mpeg-2 .ts video file .
i think jingdas' second link is the one to check out ,kind of where i was going in my last post about typing in the file extension ,because computer is not set to show extensions of known files .

i think jingdas' second link is the one to check out ,kind of where i was going in my last post about typing in the file extension ,because computer is not set to show extensions of known files .

Computer does show extensions of known files when you set it to show them- and that's what I've already done.
I tried FileBoss, but it gave me the same error message as shown in the attachments.
Any solution would be appreciated.

I think your file is seriously corrupted since other media files are able to rename, right? If that is the case, there is no way to repair it unless there are some software or help there on the internet that is able to help you but rare to find.

Thanks but..
I've tried the following in DOS:
I copied the same name of that file and paste it in the DOS and used it in the ren command like this:
ren K:\AL JAMAL FE AL ISLAMÿÿÿÿ[2011-08-01-15-29-10].ts newFile.ts
I also tried the rename command..
Nevertheless, nothing went okay!
I always got the following message:
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
(I've attached an image of what I've done on MS-DOS)
Thanks in advance.

MeOnly,

The message in your screen grab reads "The syntax of the command is incorrect". You're seeing this error because the ren command is expecting two parameters only. You need to enclose the filenames in quotation marks if the string contain spaces.

However, this won't solve the problem because the filename contains an illegal character, between the "ÿÿÿÿ" and opening square bracket.

Give DOS another chance. Try this from the command line...

Type "DIR /X". This will reveal the filename's short DOS name. Yay!

On my system it looks something like this:
2011-07-09 19:36 1,032 ALJAMA~1.TS AL JAMAL FE AL ISLAMÿÿÿÿ[2011-08-01-15-29-10].ts

Note the short 8.3 format name. From the command line again, see if you can then rename it:

REN ALJAMA~1.TS newFile.ts

commented: Excellent Help +10

MeOnly,

The message in your screen grab reads "The syntax of the command is incorrect". You're seeing this error because the ren command is expecting two parameters only. You need to enclose the filenames in quotation marks if the string contain spaces.

However, this won't solve the problem because the filename contains an illegal character, between the "ÿÿÿÿ" and opening square bracket.

Give DOS another chance. Try this from the command line...

Type "DIR /X". This will reveal the filename's short DOS name. Yay!

On my system it looks something like this:
2011-07-09 19:36 1,032 ALJAMA~1.TS AL JAMAL FE AL ISLAMÿÿÿÿ[2011-08-01-15-29-10].ts

Note the short 8.3 format name. From the command line again, see if you can then rename it:

REN ALJAMA~1.TS newFile.ts

YAY! I really really appreciate it!
Awesome man!
I tried that and it did work!
Thank you so much.
And I'd like to thank every single one who has contributed to solving my issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.