Ok here is a question to all, in XP we have system restore, and we can create restore points. Now should I have a problem and need to run MSCONFIG, and run selective start up, I lose all the restore points This also happens when you turn off restore, to say work out computer problems, or mabe a trogon infection. Now here is the question to ponder, what if you want to retain restore points, rather then lose them, and still be able to work on you're system? Has anyone come up with a work around to this one, I would be interested in hearing a little discussion on this dilemma. :idea:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Putting MSCONFIG in selective startup should not erase your restore points unless you uncheck Load System Services which you should not be doing anyways.

The restore points are contained into a hidden directory called: System Volume Information. You can save that one if you want to backup your restore points.

Putting MSCONFIG in selective startup should not erase your restore points unless you uncheck Load System Services which you should not be doing anyways.

The restore points are contained into a hidden directory called: System Volume Information. You can save that one if you want to backup your restore points.

Here I would say you are wrong, one the first part, every time I have used selective startup I lose the restore points

per Microsoft....

When you turn off System Restore, you delete all restore points.

Well try that again and make sure you don't uncheck load system services or the System Restore Service and tell me if you lost them or not.

gemini4

See this is the problem I would like to find the work around for. Restore will delete all restore pionts when you go into selective startup, even with Load System Services checked. This is a snippept from Microsoft

To prevent any one of these items from loading when you restart the computer, use either of the following two methods: • Click the General tab, and then click Diagnostic Startup - load basic devices and services only. When you use this option, device drivers and software are loaded interactively when you restart the computer.

NoteWhen you use this method, Microsoft services such as Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, and Error Reporting are temporarily disabled. You also permanently delete all restore points for the System Restore utility. Do not use this method if you want to retain your restore points for System Restore, or if you have to use a Microsoft service to test a problem.
• Click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup. You can chose the files and the settings that you want the computer to load when you restart the computer. You can select any of the following options: • Process SYSTEM.INI File
• Process WN.INI file
• Load System Services
• Load Startup Items

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

This is the full article at the above link :-|

I was hoping that some knew a work around to this quirk, for those of us that like to tinker with our settings. I would think that Microsoft would have a way to protect a restore point , so that you could return to that point.

Ok from my experience in tech support I can't tell you that system restore is not turned off by selective startup. I've been doing it all the time on spyware issues and the restore points are still there.

If you're looking for a work around it you can save the System Volume Information folder.

The restore points are located in that directory. The exact location would be:
c:\System Volume Information\_restore3908562100-n32dfdf\

The restore points are folders named: RP1,....RP221...RPn

You can save those folders and put them bvack if they are deleted...but they won't be. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.