Hi, I recently re-installed Win 7 Ultimate on a fresh hard drive in my Dell XPS 1340, and used my OEM-supplied disk to install drivers. I also used Driver Robot to auto-install or update the drivers, as well as searching the Dell website. I then burned a System Recovery disk and HDD file.

After Win 7's auto-update installs SP 1, it goes to BSOD when restarting - either from hibernation or from fresh boot. This has happened twice. The first time, in the midst of repairing startup, it tried to perform a system restore, which failed. I used my newly burned system recovery disk, which includes the drivers from various source (Is it possible there is a driver conflict?).

System recovery worked fine, but when Win 7 updated to SP 1, the BSOD occurred again. The second time around, after the failure to repair startup or to restore the system restore point, I found these error messages:

System Restore: Error code= 0x1f
System Files Integrity Check and Repair: Error code= 0x490.

Windows startup repair failed when, on its own, it attempted to revert to an earlier system restore point. However, when I attempted from one of the selection windows afterwards, reverting the to earlier restore point worked. Why this differed from the attempt from Startup repair I don't know. Anyway, it's running again.

Howeverm, I'm sure when SP 1 updates, I'll have the same problem, and I want to prevent it. I've looked for a dmp.rep file, but can't find it, either in C:/, C:/Windows and there are no C:/Minidump or C:/Windows/Minidump folders.

In sum I suspect I have some driver conflicts, possibly affecting the booting of the HDD. One thing worth noting is that the new HDD I am using differs from the original OEM. It's a Seagate 750GB ST750LX003 XT SA2. The original drive was a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500 GB.

(I don't really know how accurate these driver suppliers are - I often think they are suggesting drivers for devices that my computer doesn't have, and I suspect I may have installed one or two. For a Driver-noob like me, it's hard to find the identity of what things need drivers - even after going through the device manager with a fine tooth comb. I don't understand many of the labels - for example, my External LG monitor just turns up as Generic PNP Monitor - anyway I digress).

Is there any way to find the old dmp.rep file? (like through undelete) and if so, is it worthwhile to you for diagnostics? And - is there a way to scan my computer, find out what's causing the problem and uninstall the conflicting drivers?

Thanks for your expert help,

Michael

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

You didn't mention what is the original OS that come with your system. If it is Vista than there might be some compatibility issue and make sure your WIndow 7 is an original copy and not pirated. Pirated copies seem to give problem. Try downloading the driver from the internet.

O man, sorry. I replied but it clearly didn't post. I've been travelling for work the last few days. Original OEM OS is Win 7 Home Premium. OEM Copy is not pirated, it's from Dell, and has been verified in the past. Upgrade disk was bought from my university, and verified multiple times too.

When you say download drivers from the internet - Which drivers? And how to tell which of the existing ones that are now in my system recovery files are the one(s) producing the conlfict?

And, is my new HDD causing the problem?

O man, sorry. I replied but it clearly didn't post. I've been travelling for work the last few days. Original OEM OS is Win 7 Home Premium. OEM Copy is not pirated, it's from Dell, and has been verified in the past. Upgrade disk was bought from my university, and verified multiple times too.

When you say download drivers from the internet - Which drivers? And how to tell which of the existing ones that are now in my system recovery files are the one(s) producing the conlfict?

And, is my new HDD causing the problem?

With your Window 7 Home edition upgraqde to SP1 give you the same problem? If yes than it could be hardware problem. Most probably the memory module. If not than try download Driver pack solution to update all the drivers.

When you say "download Driver pack solution" what does that mean? I tried using Driver Robot, and suspect it produced errors. But I don't know which ones. Is there any way to do a diagnostic before re-installing Windows Home all over again?

Hi

If you follow these directions you should end up with a few BSOD events recorded and a place for us to start looking -

Please download BlueScreenView http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html (in zip file)•Extract (right-click > Extract all) the contents of bluescreenview.zip.

•Double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, to run the program. (No installation is required.)

•When scanning is done (usually complete by the time the interface appears), go ...

•Edit > Select All

•File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.

•Close the BlueScreenView window... ... ...

•Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ... .... ..

•Edit > Select All

•Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.

Thank you, that is exactly what I was hoping for.

Unfortunately, at BSOD, I have to restore to an earlier system state, which erases any .dmp files on my C: drive, so BlueScreenView is drawing a blank. I've set the system to store the .dmp files on my E: drive, so next time, I'll have some clues to post. Thanks so much.

Hi, BSOD struck again. The reboot was complicated for a number of reasons, and BSOD happened a number of times. The one dump file I got out of these is reported below as per your instructions. Thanks so much:

==================================================
Dump File         : 111412-56721-01 - Copy.dmp
Crash Time        : 11/14/2012 10:28:41 PM
Bug Check String  : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000050
Parameter 1       : ffffffff `fffffff0
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3       : fffff880`0674977d
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : rimspx64.sys
Caused By Address : rimspx64.sys+9713fe
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+705c0
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : E:\Minidump\111412-56721-01 - Copy.dmp
Processors Count  : 2
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7600
Dump File Size    : 303,684
==================================================

Also, do you recommend this software?
http://www.advancedpctweaker.com/exe-errors/Rimspx64.sys.html

Ok. The laptop bricked a number of times since, so the System Recovery by disk image has become less reliable. I managed finally to get it to reload (let's see how long it lasts this time), and burned the memtest to DVD. (I have a kid who demands all my attention on the weekends). The laptop died each time during memtests. The first two times, I'm not aware of what point in the process it happened. I watched it three times since. The first time it died during "Test 10 Modulo20, Random Pattern" or "Test 11 Bitfade test, 2 patterns." The second time I manually got it to go to test 11, and it died around the 70% mark. On the third time, it died while in the midst of test 3, while I was playing with the different kinds of test it can do.

Since then it has BSOD'ed on startup, but not consistently, this time I'm able to use it, don't know how long for.

I take it this is not to do with the driver rimspx64.sys?

THanks for your help. I'm really limping along here, hours and hours of my work time is being sucked into this. Any solution you can find would be a huge help.

Update. I did an sfc /scannow two times, and both came up naegative, no integrity violations.

With ref to the memtest86, since it's crashed this way, what about this testing procedure:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

Do I understand correctly, by doing the procedure I may find if the probem is in one or the other RAM chip or the motherboard slots? And that the driver rimspx64.sys may have merely been accessing a bad section of the memory chip?
If it is a memory chip, then the solution would be to replace the chip?

Being a bit slow on the uptake here, but want to make sure I don't get ahead of myself.

yes that is a excellent tutorial on memetest86 ,give it a try

Ok, well the memtest just failed everything. Testing RAM chip 1 and 2 in the first slot, they both crashed during Memtest 9 or so. But I couldn't test either in slot 2 alone, the computer wouldn't even start properly. So what do I do know? How can I find the source of the problem and fix it?

Maybe what I wrote didn't make sense? I did Memtest with single RAM chips. When I tested individual ramchips in slot one, the computer crashed both times, around about test number 9 or so. However, when I tried to boot the computer with just a single ramchip in slot 2, it wouldn't even start - I think it's not possible to run it that way.

Other thoughts:
- re-install W7 and perform updates (without installing drivers). W7 usually provides drivers in update.
- Do you have the right RAM installed? if you didnt change then no worries.
- Did you have any problems with W7U on your old hard drive?

THanks, I will try that.
No, RAM is the same.
No probs w. W7 on old drive.

Actually, I'm taking it to Dell for diagnostics in the morning, and will see what they come up with.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.