OK, recently I was playing an online video game and my game froze up. My first thought was, "Oh my internet died." Then my whole computer shut down. I tried booting up again and heard my computer running but saw nothing on my screen. After a few more attempts I disconnected everything and opened up my PC. It turns out that the lock holding down the graphics card had popped open and some how my graphics card dislogged itself while my computer was running. So I reinserted it and locked it down tight and proceeded to connect everything etc. and boot up. When I turned on my PC it brought me to a screen telling me about how they were sorry for the inconveinence and prompted me to choose a start up mode, Safe mode, Safe mode with command prompt, Safe mode with networking, Last known good configuration, and Start windows normally. Everyone of the settings I choose bring me to the Windows XP loading screen with the bar that goes across, then my screen goes black and it starts the whole process over again and goes to that same menu where I can choose the start up mode.

Any help?

Thanks,
Sam

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

do you have a windows installation CD? if yes insert it and try to repair your windows with it, or reinstall the windows. in future i advice you to make a whole windows backup, it helped me couple of times, when my system hadn't booted up.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Well, I tried repairing windows and reinstalling but each of them led me to the blue screen of death. Anything else you suggest?

Member Avatar for iamthwee

After a few more attempts I disconnected everything and opened up my PC. It turns out that the lock holding down the graphics card had popped open and some how my graphics card dislogged itself while my computer was running.

That sounds very nasty indeed, especially if that happened when the power was still on.

In any case just double check if the graphics card is still connected properly.

If all that fails, I'd probably reformat the drive. Failing that call someone in.

Have you tried using the fdisk tools in the command prompt? That has saved me a few times in these infinite loops

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.