I have a problem with a friend's computer. She is using Win98 S.:

When she right clicks on her desktop or tries to create a new folder from explorer she gets the following message:

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module SHELL32.DLL at 01B7:7FCCC6F9
The screen goes blank and she has to restore her desktop.

I have looked at the all the websites I can find to try and correct this fault, but to no avail.

Microsoft recommend system.ini file while someone else recommends deleting two keys from the registry - neither help!

The last time I had this I ended up reloading windows, but I am reluctant to do this with her machine as it was so long ago when I did it, I cannot remember what happened to all my files.

All ideas gladly accepted.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Click on Start / Run and type in scanreg /fix
Windows retains copies of the registry each time the computer is started and it will reload the last good working registry. This might fix the problem.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

My suggestion:

This illegal operation might be caused if your shell32.dll (dynamic link library) got corrupted..try to restore it...follow this steps:

click 'start' go to 'run' and type 'sfc' (only sfc) and click ok
it openes system file checker.....click start and its checks for a windows corrupted/missing files

If this not check the box 'extract one of files...' and type shell32.dll and restore from win98 setup disk or any specify location

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.