Problem : My computer restarts every time its turned on right after the windows xp screen is finished. (the black screen with the little bar at the bottom) It's been like this for like 4 months and its just really startin to make me mad. I'm not a big computer guy and I dont know what the deal with it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sidenotes :

1) The last time i was on it AVG had found a virus so i sent it to the virus vault and it told me to restart so the changes would take place and every since i've been having this restart problem.

2) My hard drive is pretty small. It might have had around 50 KB ish free.

3) I know I could possibly reformat it but then I lose all my precious music I need,

Any suggestions / tips / whatever... i'm desperate. :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try going to safe mode by pressing F8 before you see the Windows XP Logo then choose Safe Mode and then go to Start, Accessories, System Tools then click on System restore and try that. You can also try running a virus scan while you are there. Otherwise you could try a Repair Install of Windows by booting from Windows CD then pressing R to try and repair.

Before you try a system restore I would suggest that you run your AVG in the safe mode. AVG is good for what it was designed to do, but I would also scan with Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, and A-squared.

As for doing a system restore, I would suggest trying last known good configuration first.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.