Ok... so I start my computer one time and I get the following message as soon as i turn it on:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system "

It sais I need to insert the windows instillation cd and press r. I do that but the system just restarts...

This computer has to much junk stored on it and I would like to reinstall windows...

I need to get this thing going!!

Cheers.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Ok... so I start my computer one time and I get the following message as soon as i turn it on:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system "

The solution to that problem is discussed in this thread.

It sais I need to insert the windows instillation cd and press r. I do that but the system just restarts...

You need to boot from the Windows installation CD in order to use the Recovery Console (which is what pressing "R" gets you in to).

Ok... so I had to change the boot sequence so the cd worked... I got windows almost fully re installed and then the computer restarts and now I have to go through the process again... Is this normal or is something wrong.

Cheers.

Which of the following are you attempting to accomplish?:

1. A repair of your existing Windows installation.
2. An "in-place"/"upgrade" reinstallation on top of your existing installation.
3. A full reinstallation of Windows (completely from scratch, including a reformat of the drive)?

In the case of the particular problem you have, unless you perform a full reinstallation of Windows (including reformatting), you will need to repair your existing installation by fully and carefully following the Registry repair procedures I linked to.

This computer has to much junk stored on it and I would like to reinstall windows...

I need to get this thing going!!

Cheers.

If you thinking "SCREW IT ill just reinstall the whole system over again"and you have nothing to back up: Just bootup from cd, and intead of using the repair option in the beginning(which wont even solve your problem to begin with)choose the cancel option and it will compleatly reistall system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.