Hi, Here's hoping someone can help. I have a custom built Athlon 1.1 Ghz PC with 264 Meg of RAM running WindowsXP Pro. I've added a few new drives to the extent that I only have 1 power cable left so can only use one CD/DVD Drive. I have two drives I can switch between (a CD-RW and a DVD). Both drives will Auto run and load software (i.e. games etc.) but neither drive will allow access to bog standard folders and files on CD. I've problems accessing with a Photo CD with 24 x 4.5 Mb JPEG files and a Photoshop CD that has Folders containing lessons on it. Does anyone know what might be the problem??
Thanks in advance. :?:

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by DMR

Can those CDs be read in a different PC? It might be the CDs themselves which are at fault. They may have been written with a session writing software package, and incorrectly 'closed'.

The Photo CD I can open on my Linux machine and the Photoshop CD comes with a book so I assume it's ok, not tried it elsewhere yet though

it's my computer I'm trying to open them with. I've Norton Anti-virus and it will scann the CDs and report the number of files on them but I can't open. I double click the icon and nothing, I try to search the CD and "No Results Found" I try and Explore the CD, still nothing. The Anti Virus scan was the only success I had.

I've even uploaded all the latest updates and patches from MS for XP just in case, still no luck

This is worth a try:

Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'

Choose Hardware -> Device Manager

Expand the entries for DVD/CD drives, right-click each in turn, and choose 'Uninstall'

Reboot your system, allowing Windows to redetect and reinstall them, and see if the problem persists.

Many thanks Catweazle. I thought I had tried that before but this time I deleted everything apart from hard drives (including my Epson 915 which for some reason shows up as a storeage device), rebooted and all is as good as gold. Thanks again.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.