I really hope I can get help here since I can't seem to find help anywhere else.

I have a SH-S162L Samsung DVD-RAM Drive. Everytime I insert a DVD-R in the drive, the computer tends to freeze up. I tried uninstalling all the burning software and deleted their registry keys and it still persists to freeze up on me. I use Verbatim DVD-Rs which is top notch so I dunno if it could be the brand. Yes, my Disc Drive supports the DVD-R format and i've completely updated the firmware.

The CD-Rs work completely fine and I've played DVDs on the comp before so I have no idea what's wrong here.

On a side note: if I leave the DVD-R in the drive and restart the comp it will load up all the way to just before the login screen comes up but then all I get is a black screen until I eject it.

Please help. :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

Does this only happen with DVD-R?

Does this disc play in other machines?

Is this an encrypted movie that you are trying to view?

That's what makes this so wierd. They're Blank DVD-Rs.

Edit: I tried using a burned DVD-R of the same brand and a burned DVD-r of a different brand (Memorex) and both times it froze up. I popped in a regular DVD movie and it didn't recognize anything (prolly cuz it was pretty scratched up) so i put in a different one and my computer froze up. Now I see it's not just DVD-Rs.

I tried another DVD and it worked so i'm just back to DVD-Rs freezing the computer. Could it be the brand?

How do you have the drive connected, is it on a IDE cable by itself? If it is the second device on a IDE cable you will need to make it a slave drive.

Also go to control panel then system hardware - device manager IDE/ATAPI controllers.check the controllers by right clicking and clicking properties make sure it is set to DMA instead of PIO in advance settings.

Also go to control panel then system hardware - device manager IDE/ATAPI controllers.check the controllers by right clicking and clicking properties make sure it is set to DMA instead of PIO in advance settings.

Checked it.... It was already set to DMA. *sigh* I dunno where the problem's comming from here.

The DMA is the default setting and is normal.

Please answer my question. This could just be a connection problem. As I said above, if you are sharing a IDE cable the second device will have to be set up as a slave drive. This means setting the jumper and enabling it in the BIOS if it doesn't do it automatically. If you connect the IDE ends backwards it will not work.

Also look in the BIOS to see that it is enabled there.

The DMA is the default setting and is normal.

Please answer my question. This could just be a connection problem. As I said above, if you are sharing a IDE cable the second device will have to be set up as a slave drive. This means setting the jumper and enabling it in the BIOS if it doesn't do it automatically. If you connect the IDE ends backwards it will not work.

Also look in the BIOS to see that it is enabled there.

K... I just checked all that... nothing seemed to be wrong.

If you have a different Ribbon cable try that.

Also is there any conflicts in device manager?

Try this also sounds unorthodox but give it a shot go into BIOS and change the boot sequence to you CD first then HDD.

Do you know the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? They are two different incompatible kinds of recordable DVDs.

Except for the newest drives, usually a drive which takes one type can't take the other.

Do you know the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? They are two different incompatible kinds of recordable DVDs.

Except for the newest drives, usually a drive which takes one type can't take the other.

Wrong! There are two different types of DVD media, not DVDs, they are compatible with most all machines now. Some of the older machines still have problems reading DVD+R which was the second media to hit the market after DVD-R. The problem most people have with DVD media today is that the cheaper media has a tendency to fail more often.

Most people recognize Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim as the two best DVD media on the market today, and Mystic-g is using one of those. Mystic-g's Samsung is new enough that there shouldn't be any problem using either type of media.

Mystic-g...no you don't need to boot with the disc in the drive. Perhaps there is some confusion here regarding the IDE calbe. This is what TT4Titans was referring to as a ribbon cable. There are three connectors on this cable, two of the connector are close together, these are the connector that plug into the drives. The middle connector of these is for connecting a slave drive. If this cable is installed backwards it will not work.

The DVD burner is a plug and play device and you shouldn't normally need to enable it in the BIOS, but it can be disabled in the BIOS and not work, so it is worth checking out.

Wrong! There are two different types of DVD media, not DVDs, they are compatible with most all machines now. Some of the older machines still have problems reading DVD+R which was the second media to hit the market after DVD-R. The problem most people have with DVD media today is that the cheaper media has a tendency to fail more often.

Most people recognize Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim as the two best DVD media on the market today, and Mystic-g is using one of those. Mystic-g's Samsung is new enough that there shouldn't be any problem using either type of media.

Mystic-g...no you don't need to boot with the disc in the drive. Perhaps there is some confusion here regarding the IDE calbe. This is what TT4Titans was referring to as a ribbon cable. There are three connectors on this cable, two of the connector are close together, these are the connector that plug into the drives. The middle connector of these is for connecting a slave drive. If this cable is installed backwards it will not work.

The DVD burner is a plug and play device and you shouldn't normally need to enable it in the BIOS, but it can be disabled in the BIOS and not work, so it is worth checking out.

I checked the ribbon cable and it seems to be on the correct way since I found that the end connectors match in color... blue on blue and black on black.

I think I checked in BIOS already and it was enabled. I guess i'll give it a second look though I highly doubt that it is disabled.

I've checked just about anywhere unless I hear any new ideas. I hope my drive hasn't royaly screwed me over and make it unable for me to use this brand. Verbatim isn't on it's recommendation list for DVD-Rs but I wouldn't think that such a good drive wouldnt't let me use such a good brand.

I'll go buy a brand on it's recommendation list for the DVD-Rs and see if it works. I let you know.

Do you have another computer that you can try the burner in?

I can tell your getting frustrated Mystic-G over this.

It isn't the name brand of the media your using .as far as trouble shooting we have covered every feasible solution.try doing what dcc says if you can trying it in another machine.if the problem still persist it is more than likely the drive is failing.

Do you have another computer that you can try the burner in?

Nah, I had gave away my older comp after I got this one. But I'll see if I can get one of my friends to see if I can try it out though.

I could kinda tell i'd have to do this to find out if it's actually the drive or not.

Did you have installed any instant write software?

And

Does the same issue happen in safe mode?

By The Way if you did have any pinnacle software installed then there is a good chance this is a known issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

I have no Instant Write software I don't believe and no Pinncle software.

These are some other things I just did

*I cleaned the laser... still didn't work.
*I tried another DVD-R brand (Maxell) which is the third brand i've used behind Verbatim & Memorex.. still froze.
*I tried in safe mode after I cleaned the laser, and it still froze up. *sigh* I really hope it's not the drive... I guess i'll find out when I put it in my friend's computer. I mean this is a really good drive.

This problem is often caused by a dirty lens/laser , It cant read the disk... try a different make of disk as well.
Verbatums suck imho.
If it reads sometimes it must be connected ok, clean the lens with a wet cleaning disk.
good luck.

This problem is often caused by a dirty lens/laser , It cant read the disk... try a different make of disk as well.
Verbatums suck imho.
If it reads sometimes it must be connected ok, clean the lens with a wet cleaning disk.
good luck.

LOL did you read the posts in the thread?

My post above yours said I cleaned the lens already and it still didn't work. I suggest you read the whole thread to see where i'm at.

LOL did you read the posts in the thread?

My post above yours said I cleaned the lens already and it still didn't work. I suggest you read the whole thread to see where i'm at.

:lol: I love it! More times than not I have to wonder if the person responding to a question has completely read or understood the question.

anlogue ...your humble opinion is a stark minority in the world where quality is recognized. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the two most recommended DVD medias by serious videophiles.

I'm gonna have to say the drive is bad.i have had them freeze trying to read one maybe 2 disc but it was the disc.if it is freezing with any disc it is either you REALLY have bad luck with disc LOL or the drive is bad.

I'm gonna have to say the drive is bad.i have had them freeze trying to read one maybe 2 disc but it was the disc.if it is freezing with any disc it is either you REALLY have bad luck with disc LOL or the drive is bad.

Alright, I figured I may have to get a new one. Do you have any recommendations for a really good combo drive? That's not too expensive of course.

Well i have put a lot of Lite-on in computers and never had anybody complain or call back saying it quit working.they are good inexpensive burners.I don't know where you are located but Walmart carries them or look on this site NewEgg.com they have a lot of good deals.check the customer reviews.

Well i have put a lot of Lite-on in computers and never had anybody complain or call back saying it quit working.they are good inexpensive burners.I don't know where you are located but Walmart carries them or look on this site NewEgg.com they have a lot of good deals.check the customer reviews.

Thanks... I had just found a drive I think I will get though. I was on PC World and looked up optical drives and found this..
http://www.pcworld.com/product/specs/id,29199-c,opticaldrives/specs.html

It's "LG Electronics GSA-H10L 16x Internal Super Multi DVD / CD Rewriter"
It has the highest rating there in optical drives and it's in the $45 range =O Holy smokes batman!!!

Their ratings are from customers that are either pleased with the product and will praise it or p.oed because there was a problem or disappointment and they pan it.

Lite-On has mixed reviews, they have the fastest reading speed and enjoy one of the best reputations for their firmware. People seem to either love them or hate them.

I have a NEC 3550A that I like very much, unfortunately they're no longer available.

Samsung is another that has a solid reputation, and Newegg has this one on sale for $41.99 with free three day shipping. I would go for this one if I was in the market and couldn't afford a Plextor.

Well all the ones that reviewed the LG drive seemed to be content, some just not so much with the software included. That doesn't really bother me, all I care for is the drive since I have the software I want already.

:lol: I love it! More times than not I have to wonder if the person responding to a question has completely read or understood the question.

anlogue ...your humble opinion is a stark minority in the world where quality is recognized. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the two most recommended DVD medias by serious videophiles.

Here we go, are you the administrator of this forum ? If not keep your LOL's to yourself, Typical forum responce.

If the drive works with some media then all the posts about conncetion problems were a waist of time, my advice was sound and i get slatted for it.

I will lol when a different media works in the drive.

Here we go, are you the administrator of this forum ? If not keep your LOL's to yourself, Typical forum responce.

If the drive works with some media then all the posts about conncetion problems were a waist of time, my advice was sound and i get slatted for it.

I will lol when a different media works in the drive.

First of all, not being a moderator does not preclude my right to express my opinion. You expressed yours when you called Verbatim crap, I simply responded with not only my opinion but that of many others.

Secondly...if you had been reading the posts you would not have posted your faux paux, you also would have noticed that he did try other media with the same results.

My statement was not meant as a personal affront, and your response was not warranted.

btw...you misspelled response.:lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.