i've got some doubts...

what is the difference between CMD.exe and COMMAND.com ?
is there any limitation that COMMAND can do, and CMD cannot do?

which one is more preferable for working...?

in CMD u can press up arrow key to get the previous typed command, but not in COMMAND. can i get it in COMMAND by any means?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

cmd.exe is COMMAND.COM's successor on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 and OS/2. COMMAND.COM is also available on those systems to provide compatibility when running DOS applications. On NT systems, COMMAND.COM is run within the Virtual DOS Machine.
According to this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMMAND.COM

in CMD u can press up arrow key to get the previous typed command, but not in COMMAND. can i get it in COMMAND by any means?

Typing the command doskey worked in later versions of DOS and is supposed to work but I have just done a test on this XP machine and it does not work.

command is a psuedo-win9x dos prompt
cmd is the NT prompt

thank u people for ur kind replies...

Typing the command doskey worked in later versions of DOS and is supposed to work but I have just done a test on this XP machine and it does not work.

i hav to mainly use COMMAND to handle registries,... and its very disgusting to type 2-2 lines commands again, if u do a spelling mistake,... :(
btw thanx denis
lets see if there's any other way...

Why not use CMD, unless you are on win98 in which case I am sure doskey works.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.