I'm brand new to the video editing world and I'm getting desperate. I made a decision to begin making my own DVDs for my seminars and students so after lots searching/shopping I invested, what for me is a small fortune, in a state of the art system. Until three weeks ago I'd never done any work with DVDs, video camera, or video editing software so bear with me if I sound like an idiot--I am.

Did a couple tests--captured some raw footage from my camera and tried to do some editing. Problem is I can't see any wmv, mpeg, or avi video clips--sound is fine. Initially the clips played sometimes, now they are not playing at all.

Here's what I've done in the way of troubleshooting (hope I remember it all).

Checked for all Windows updates--there were none that I did not already have.

Ran the Direct X diagnostics and it says it is functioning properly.

Was told by tech support folks where the system was built that Quicktime and Intervideo can cause an issue like that so (temporarily for troubleshooting purposes) to remove them. I did--nothing.

Tried viewing sample video that came with pre-installed programs and viewing sample video sent to me for troubleshooting. Can't view them. Sent my avi clip to someone else to see if he could view it--he could.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the ATI driver.

Based on stuff I've found via Google, I've installed g-spot, avicode, and video toolbox and used them to try to determine any trouble spots--did find that I needed a DV codec which I downloaded and installed but it made no difference.

Uninstalled and reinstalled WMP 9.

Reinstalled Quicktime. I can play avi files in quicktime.

Discovered the Windows Media Utility program and tried to view video in the File Editor--I can view wmv files in that program but not in Media Player or Ulead Movie Factory (supplied with the computer).

Also loaded WinAmp to see if a different player would work--no go.

Can anyone offer any assistance? Be gentle--I barely know a hard drive from a line drive.

Lee

Here is the info about my system.

OS--Windows XP Pro Sp1

Hardware
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel Pentium4 3.2 GHz 800 FSB
OCZ Platinum EB DC - 2x 1024mb PC3200
Chenming 601-SL Mid-Tower Case
2 Western Digital WD2000JD 200.0GB SATA
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
CTL 7TX - LCD 17 inch
Sound Blaster Live! Audigy2
Sony DWU18A 8X DVD+R/4x DVD-R
Western Digital 120GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
Creative Labs Modem Blaster V.92
D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adapter
Logitech Cordless MX Duo Combo
Enermax 460W Whisper Power Supply
4 Vantec 80mm Temperature Controlled Case Fans

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Try "Nemo codec pack" it might help with your issues. Also for a nice free media player try BS Player best Ive had in a while. The last thing if you do have WINDVD or PowerDVD and you dont have them installed you should because because they have the Mpeg codec wich you might want for later use.

Having a similar problem.

The videos I made on my Photosmart camera download, burn and play just fine.

The videos my daughter made on a Pentax Optio camera download to Photosmart. The photos I also downloaded burn onto a cd and are fine, but the videos I burn have audio but black screens. I also cannot download them to Photobucket, although mine download fine.

What extra step do I need to make an AVI video from Pentax show when it's replayed from a CD? I can view it on my computer just fine, but not after I've burned it using CDburnerXP.

Running Windows XP.

Remember I'm not technically inclined or profficient, so I need answers in plain English. LOL

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.