Hey Y'all... Tumbleweedracefan here. Thank you for the warm welcome into your community !!!! :) I'm like a country boy geek, who likes target shooting, camping, hiking being out in the woods and computers. I enjoy computer debugging and repair, and have met my match in computer repair. I just do this stuff in my free time and I don't charge money for it. It's something I enjoy !
A friend at work has givin me a HP pavilion 533w that his wife has managed to really mess up. I don't think it has a viruse of any type, I think she just had some cruel ways of shutting down her computer !!! Anyway, he gave it to me in a mess !
It runs Windows XP and had Zone Alarm fire wall on it with AVG Antivirus. He was an older fella who didn't have any extra money so he used the free products listed above.
When you turn this HP on, here is what happends.....
#1 HP splash screen
#2 it goes striaght to the "F8" screen where you have the black screen with the choices to go into "safe mode", "safe mode w/networking, " safe mode w/command prompt, and the choice of choosing the " last known good configuration".
After choosing ANY of the choices, it goes to a "Windows XP Home Edotion screen and then flashes a blue , with white lettering message on the screen VERY QUICKLY !!! I had to video tape the message and stop the video at the right frame to find out what the message said. It says...." STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file):\System Root\System32\Config\SECURITY or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable. It also says " Begining dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system admin. or tech. assist. . After the FLASH of all that info, it goes right back to the first HP splash screen and then onto the black screen with all the "SAFE MODE" choices again. This is all the computer will do. I can get into the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility by hitting F1 at start up, but I don't know what to do while I have that screen up....<grin>
Can anyone help me save this poor computer that I may use it for storage and also use the info to help others when they need it ?
I appreciate any help from y'all !!!
Tumbleweedracefan

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Possible two reasons for that:
1.) Malfunctioned RAM or
2.) Corrupted Registry

Possible two reasons for that:
1.) Malfunctioned RAM or
2.) Corrupted Registry

How do I find out exctly what it is and then how do I find out what to do about it ? Thanks for your reply !

Check with another similar RAM if it works fine means the reason is RAM or if not then you have to re-install operating system.

How do I ...."Check with another similar RAM". Also, This HP has an "internal" restore disck. It was restored about 4 months ago with a complete(destructive), restore. But, with the restore "disc" being internal, how do I restore it when I can't get to the internal parts of the operating system ? HELP. Thank you for bering with me on this !!!

f10 or f11 may bring up the restore option!

You my friend are a "God send" !!!! F 10 worked and now life is good !! I'm very thankful for your wisdom !!!!!! I hope one day I can repay you 100 fold !!!

You my friend are a "God send" !!!! F 10 worked and now life is good !! I'm very thankful for your wisdom !!!!!! I hope one day I can repay you 100 fold !!!

Great ,glad it worked ,

Thank you caperjack.

Thank you caperjack.

Your welcome.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.