hi,i have hp pavilion 522n. 256mb memory, 60 gb, 1.8GH... its a pretty old computer. i just reinstalled windows xp pro on it. after using it for a few days, i found that its slow when i start to open big programs. for example, if i open a big download program or a game, then every thing else will get slowed. problems like computer freezing or the thing i clicked will come out after 5 minutes. i used emule program and it gets slow. can ne 1 help me? do i need to reinstall the windows or get new hardware? memory card,proccesor,or mother board any thing like that?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If the computer was working faster before you reinstalled Windows, and you've changed nothing hardware-wise, it would be likely that the reinstall didn't quite go correctly.

- Why did you need to reinstall?

- Did you do a fresh, clean reinstall, or did you reinstall on top of the existing install?

Hi,

I would back the computer back to Windows 2000. XP requires more RAM, more speed, it is a larger OS, and it demands space to operate. If it was my box, I would have more RAM in it. And Windows is not the only OS that has expanded in this light... so has Mac OS X and Linux... today's OS requires more RAM.

I am thinking that you should do a clean install of XP. Backup the data, and then format the drive and re-install XP nice and cleanly.

Christian

hi,

i would suggest doing a system recovery.

but make sure you back up all your files.

and make sure you pick the quick format one.

thanks

xp_helper

Also check your HD for fragmentation. Run a defragger if you havent in a long time. May help speed up the system.

Spyware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get rid of the damn stuff!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.