Ok heres the situation. I am working in a small office network situation, and everything worked fine before last night when I installed a new copy of WinXP (because I needed SP1 [which requires legal copy]). Well now the main computer can nolonger access internet, or the network, but the rest of the computers can. After looking around and comparing, it appears I had on whats called APIPA, which im sure you all know. Anyways, I read around, and apparently I turned it off now...(reg tweak), and now it just says "invalid IP adress". Why wont this computer just connect through DCHP like the rest of the computers? I've been working on this for about 2 hours now, and still can't figure anything out! Please help me out here, it says DCHP is enabled in the properties, so now I'm going to make a run and get a new network cable, I think it might be that. Otherwise, please inform me of something I'm overlooking...this is very frusterating, but hey, thats the life of the computer tech. Thanks guys/gals!

Hardware/Specs:
Linksys Broadband 4 port router
Ameritech DSL modem
Windows XP professional
All computers connect through DCHP except the main computer

thanks guys, be back in a few, hopefully with some answe

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

www.downloads.com search for SP1a (one word)

You better hope your system admin is contracted by your company and is not just a regular employee at yourk work.
QUOTE: My boy catch
Computer systems are finite

im the system admin lol, and why would that matter?

I am working in a small office network situation, and everything worked fine before last night when I installed a new copy of WinXP (because I needed SP1 [which requires legal copy]).

It's hard to even understand what you are saying here, but it sounds like the copy of XP you are installing is not even a legal copy correct?

It would cost you some cash for me not to tell your boss that you are a security risk to his network!

Hey buddy, you think you know what you are talking about, but really your just an idiodic, uneducated...I'll stop there. You need to learn to read before you make comments such as "...You are a security risk to his network" if you read correctly, you would see that I was installing a new copy of WinXP to replace the old one which was NOT legal.

And get a new avatar...lame.

oh yeah good one buddy, lol, I never said I was the one who installed the hacked version, I was simply rectifying the problem. But you almost had me...wow.

oh yes, and may I comment on the false URL...you again, almost had me.

(suggestion)lol.....you can go unlock your doors and stop shaking now!!!
You have to admit it was a good one

That got a laugh out of me.

Why dont you just give the card a static IP address?

192.168.0.80 or whatever?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.