I would like some suggestions on picking a game development technology/language.
My requirements are :
1) On line / Web based game only
2) 2d animation only (for the time being). Using mostly sprites and modelling only simple 2d shapes.
3) No need for an advanced physics engine. I am starting a slot machine game like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYOvcPnBi-A
4) Game should run on a browser only and not require a client side application to be installed.
5) Will run on windows OS machines exclusively.
My experience is :
1) More than 3 years experience of system/interface programming using C/C++/Visual C++/python
2) Basic knowledge of web programming PHP/HTML/CSS/MySQL
3) Little knowledge of DirectX programming.
I know that there are 2 basic rivals when it comes to on-line gaming. Flash/Actionscript and JAVA.
The company i work for has developed Flash and Java games. So there is code i can reuse/study.
But they abandoned Flash because it added too much overhad and was CPU intensive (at least 5 years ago).
So Java is my only choise now that i will start game development.
Or is it not????
Which brings me to my question:
Is there an alternative way to go in web based game development?
Is it worth the trouble?
I was thinking of a more open source way to go such as using only HTML5/Javasctipt, but i have no clue if there are any kind of tools to help me for game development.
Any suggestions are most welcome!