Hello to all the good folk at Dani Web !!!
I have a Dell Dimention 3000, Windows XP Pro., 2.8GHz process.
It was given to me and I had to replace the hard drive in it. It also had only 256 MB of RAM, PC3200, NON-ECC , and so I wanted to max out the RAM and make my son a quick , clean computer for him to learn on. With the 256 MB of RAM in it, it took 47 seconds to go from the start button to AVG & ZoneALarm popping up in the tray. I figured that when I bought 2, 1 gig memeory sticks , that the computer would at least lod up faster. But, it still takes 47 seconds.
When I go to msconfig, the only thing that loads up at startup is AVG & Zone Alarm. When I check to see if the system recognizes the 2 Gigs of RAM, it does. It has a Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8GHz process. in it. I haven't YET updated it through Microsoft but I will when I figure out why it isn't any faster.
If anyone has any help, I sure would appreciate it !!!
Thank you !
by the way, the RAM I took out says 256MB DDR-400MGz-CL3, PC3200U-30330, on it. Both of the RAM sticks I put in it say Pacific Memory , PC3200(CL2.5) , 1GB DDR-Dim

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Zone alarm used to do that to me too. I think it's just one of those things. I've switched to NOD32 for AV and just windoze firewall. I assume ZA is just doing firewall, because you shouldn't have it doing anti-virus at the same time as AVG does anti-virus (AV progs don't like each other).

Each of those RAM combos are the same speed, so until you fill up 256MB they should perform the same. If the 2 sticks in at once run in dual channel mode it would be faster, but not significantly. Dual channel mode is not something I know much about, I just know of it.

Someone else might be more help...

Zone alarm used to do that to me too. I think it's just one of those things. I've switched to NOD32 for AV and just windoze firewall. I assume ZA is just doing firewall, because you shouldn't have it doing anti-virus at the same time as AVG does anti-virus (AV progs don't like each other).

Each of those RAM combos are the same speed, so until you fill up 256MB they should perform the same. If the 2 sticks in at once run in dual channel mode it would be faster, but not significantly. Dual channel mode is not something I know much about, I just know of it.

Someone else might be more help...

I don't have Zonealarm doing any antivirusing. After all I've read over the years, I just don't trust Windows FireWall.
I still don't understand why adding 1744 mb of RaM, hasn't made it any faster ?
I don't know anything about " dual channel mode .
Any more help ?

Check to see if AVG is running a scan at start up, if it is change it to another time.

Not only should you check whats loading at startup but also what's running in the background.....Make sure your boot sequence is set to 'normal' and run through these computer maintenance steps:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

If it were my new computer addition to the LAN family then i would most certainly format and clean install the OS for optimum results. (Its all about the registry and you need to give it a clean start in order to analyse hard ware addition performance increases)

If you've purchased someone else's computer you can never be sure of whats been done with it in the past and how much the old OS install is holding things back.

Let us know how you go and what you decide on!

Regards

Not only should you check whats loading at startup but also what's running in the background.....Make sure your boot sequence is set to 'normal' and run through these computer maintenance steps:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

If it were my new computer addition to the LAN family then i would most certainly format and clean install the OS for optimum results. (Its all about the registry and you need to give it a clean start in order to analyse hard ware addition performance increases)

If you've purchased someone else's computer you can never be sure of whats been done with it in the past and how much the old OS install is holding things back.

Let us know how you go and what you decide on!

Regards

Ok, I don't have AVG doing a scan when the computer starts.
The BIOS is set to load from the HARD DISK first and the CDROM second.
I was given this computer because it didn't work. I put a new hard drive in it and did a fresh install with Windows XP Pro. There are only 6 items in the ADD/REMOVE programs. There are only 2 items in msconfig startup. One is AVG and the other is Zonealarm. I haven't even updated this computer with any Microsoft updates at all. When I got the computer formated and AVG and Zonealalrm loaded, the computer took 47 seconds the go from start button to loaded and ready, (AVG loaded and Zonealarm loaded).That was with only 256mb of RAM. I put in 1744mb of RAM and this computer still takes 47 seconds to completely load up.
I'm trying to find out why there was no change in loadup speed, after maxing this computer out with 2gb of RAM. The RAM specs are listed in this previous thread when I started it.
I went to the MAJOR GEEKS page above and read all of it. I already keep my registry clean and the computer defragged. It's clean , lean and mean.........just slower than I thought it should be.
How long does YOUR computer take to go from start button, to loaded and ready ? I figured that when I put all the RAM in it that it would have gotton quicker at load up.
Any more help will be GREATLY appreciated !!!!!!

this computer still takes 47 seconds to completely load up.

This aint to bad really.....dont focus solely on boot times only though.

Has the systems multitasking capabilities improved somewhat?

How long do individual programs take to load when you have several already running?

Simply adding extra RAM aint gonna give you dual core extreme performance with a 1333mhz FSB and a lightning boot from an older system.

Dont expect miracles!

just adding ram won't make the system faster. all adding ram will do is allow you to run more programs at once. if you want a performance increase go buy a Dual Core CPU you can pick one up for about $150. that should give you the performance boost you where expecting.

Thank you all for bringing me up to date on knowledge !!!! With the budget I'm on, $150 dual core processor is out of the question ! Our job has slowed down so I'll have to wait.
Thanks for taking time and helping me out !!! I hope that one day I'll be able to help ya back !!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.