Hi, my lap-top has a problem......it is stuck on the start up screen.
It is running Windows 2000, and last night it hung up on me and I had tu turn of the power to shut it down. Now when I turn it on it gets stuck on the screen with the little window saying "Windows is starting up" but nothing happens.
I'm lost

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Did you recently install anything such as a firewall or a VPN client...maybe a Windows update? Can you get into safe mode? Also, do you have the Nortel VPN client installed or any other VPN client? It would be helpful to know the model of your laptop, if this is a Dell C400 then I know what the problem most likely is. Also, if there is a network connection plugged in while you're booting try booting up without the network cable plugged in.

Hey Antioed, the Lap-Top finaly came up again (HP Omni Book), like nothing ever happend. It done that befor, but never that long. The next time I will unplug the wireless card and see if that helps. I don't think the husband loadet anything new on the puter, but I will ask him.
So anyway, thanks for the info and if this happens again and unplugging the wireless card doesn't help I'll be sure to contact you all again. :o

My problem is not so simple...i have a win 2000 os and it was working very well. All of a sudden I get this message on my compaq laptop saying "sys32\config\ file is missing and thus, keeps my windows from starting up. I don't know how this happened. Because of this occurrence, I would like to install win xp but don't know how to do this if windows can't start up. I can't even get into safe mode. Help someone!!
joppyguru

My problem doesn't affect win 2000 anymore. I successfully installed win xp. However, I sometimes lose a program and a message comes on saying "Windows will shut down to prevent any damage to your computer" If you see this message again, try entering set up and disable bios cache or shadowing" , etc.
However, I am not able to get into set up only by clicking F8 into safe mode. Message goes on saying, " If I recently installed any programs to delete them and restart your computer."
If I delete these programs how will I be able to install them again?
Is there someone with some knowledge that can assist me with this problem?
joppyguru

try entering set up and disable bios cache or shadowing.

the setup this is referring to is actually the BIOS ,usually accessed by hitting f1 or DEL keys .

Message goes on saying, " If I recently installed any programs to delete them and restart your computer."
If I delete these programs how will I be able to install them again?

if you recently installed them then you would have the install file for them would you not

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.