This small annoyance is something I get as XP finishes running its scripts after booting. Unfortunately, that is the entirety of the message. No clue as to what the problem might be. It is not a problem per se, but it IS an annoyance that I would like to be rid of. Any clues anyone?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

i assume youre getting this key directly after startup without doing anything,if thats the case do a registry repair witch might just be a simple solution for your prob.
??

Yep, the message comes on during the startup scripts. Doesn't seem to affect them either. Like I say, an annoyance rather than a full blown problem.

Er, and sorry, but how to do a registry repair?

Try a startup manager like this one:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Somewhere, a blank file is being loaded and should be easy to find.

yaeh thats another way of doing it registry repair would have done the same job though. neverthe less a Registry repair is a simple software tool (theres hundreds of them) that will scan your registry with a simple click.

yaeh thats another way of doing it registry repair would have done the same job though. neverthe less a Registry repair is a simple software tool (theres hundreds of them) that will scan your registry with a simple click.

There's a school of thought (And I belong to it) that states, unequivocally, that there are no good registry repair programs.
They do virtually no good, and cause tremendous damage.
YMMV.

Thanks to all on this thread. I use TuneUp for reg repairs and have never had a problem with it. It doesn't, however, help this problem. Will check out StartupCPL tho. Looks useful. (Just call me 'slowpoke' now.)

There's a school of thought (And I belong to it) that states, unequivocally, that there are no good registry repair programs.
They do virtually no good, and cause tremendous damage.
YMMV.

To hughv: Interesting that you mention that, partially I'll agree with you. Reason being sometimes I need to use registry repair programs and most of the time I use two registry tools in combination in order to get the registry fixed (even if its not entirely fixed), However In some cases like I said I get them to do the trick the first time. I wont say there are no good registry programs cos many a times my problems gets fixed, But the statement that you make that they sometimes cause serious damage is something that Ill agree on.

To hughv and sittas87...in the article by Steve Bass of PC World..http://www.pcworld.com/article/149951/how_to_clean_your_windows_registry_and_speed_up_your_pc.html
he warns of the dangers of users allowing registry cleaners to do damage but he believes that they are an essential tool to be used (after a full back-up and reg back-up) on a regular basis.
As he states in his article, any problem caused by the user allowing the cleaner to delete necessary files, can be restored by the full back-up or registry back-up.
I am not saying he is correct or incorrect but he has an opposite view to the two of you.
I am certainly not any where near an expert but I have only found to be useful not harmful.

Like I said Its a lil bit of both sides :)

Sorry for interrupting but if I am not able to get into the desktop after the WinXP welcome screen,then how can I use registry repair software?

Can I use it in safe mode?

Yes you can use it in safe mode. However you'll be limited to installing certain programs when working in safe mode. If you're registry is completely corrupt and doesnt allow you to go in via safe mode than a windows repair will be you're easy next best option. Im sure you dont wat to format.
Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.