I have 64-bit Vista Home Premium with IE7 (also 64-bit). Unable to download and install flash player with that version of IE. I also have 32-bit Firefox and flash player works normally as expected with it. When I view Program and Features, I see Adobe Flash Player ActiveX and Adobe Flash Player Plugin.

Anyone know if its possible to install a version of Flash that will work with 64-bit version of the browsers?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Thanks -- I suspected that.

I came across this fix.
It worked for Firefox 3.0.3 ,I.E. 8 Beta 2, Opera 9.52, and Google Chrome Dev Release: 0.3.154.0.

Here's the scenario: you download the latest and greatest version of the Adobe Flash Player. After it finishes installing, you go to a site featuring Flash content and are greeted with a message notifying you that you need to install Flash Player, but didn't you just do that? To properly update your Flash Player, you need to run the installation as Administrator. Follow these steps to properly install Adobe Flash Player:

For Vista (32 bit):

1. Open Computer.

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\.

3. Scroll down and open the Macromed directory.

4. Open the Flash directory.

5. Right-click FlashUtil9x where x is some letter.

6. Select Run as Administrator.

7. When the UAC prompt appears, select Continue.

8. Follow the Flash Player installation wizard.

For Vista (64 bit):

1. Open Computer.

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\.

3. Scroll down and open the Macromed directory.

4. Open the Flash directory.

5. Right-click FlashUtil9x where x is some letter.

6. Select Run as Administrator.

7. When the UAC prompt appears, select Continue.

8. Follow the Flash Player installation wizard.

Once the wizard completes, Flash Player has been properly installed and will now function properly.

i tried ralph's suggestion, without having firefox installed on my machine and couldnt get the flash player to work,
has anyone had any luck installing flah player to win7 64 bit?
please post solution or contact me via e-mail
Thanks

I want to use Flash Player on my 64-bit browser on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. The 64-bit version of I.E. runs about 3 times faster than the 32-bit browser. I contacted the product manager for Flash Player through http://justin.everett-church.com/. I got no reply.

Since then, I found Adobe Flash bug report FP-2726 at the Adobe bug report site for this issue. As of today, it is marked "Priority: None"

A company of this magnitude should have seen this coming

i am VERY frustrated there is no Flash Player that is OUT of beta testing status for a 64-bit operating system. For high profile companies such as Adobe, frankly this is not only surprising but completely unacceptable since there are so many 64-bit systems being sold.

Here is what Adobe has to say on it's web site when i try the same thing:

"Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.

Reason

Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Note: To participate in pre-release testing of 64-bit Flash Players see Adobe Labs. "

Well , there it is, i was disappointed also, but what can you do...
You could beta test it....

good luck

ive got windows 7 64 bit cant install adobe and recommendations

Since even released programs are not bug free, i'm not an advanced enough user to feel comfortable with Beta versions.

i do think it's absurd, ABSOLUTELY ABSURD that Adobe was not prepared with a version of Flash Player for 64-bit systems since sooooooo many are being sold. this is a first class technologically advanced company and it's unacceptable how they have dropped the ball on this.

to "tone down" the advancements on my computer so that i can have flash player isn't an acceptable option. i think this is a GIANT black eye on Adobe.

All we can do guys is to wait untill a huge company like Adobe is going to set a flash player update for all of us 64-bit users out there.
What a diss........ not to mention a shame for Adobe this is.

screw adobe

so, seriously? that's it? I can't see a lot of web content because i have a good, new computer? HELP!!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.