I have bought a new pc with xp pro sp2 preinstalled every thing is networked i can map the drive open a windows and see the files but when i need to open a file the windows hangs or file shares are very slow and at times times out opening large files across the network.
xp surfs the web great
i have shut off Service Name WebClient on the xp machine little if any results
Are there other service I should shut down ?
my set up is a modem connected to a router on a static IP
its been suggested it get unix service ....see ttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/
I am not sure what to do I beileve the problem is with Xp machine being no other machine has a problem I am useing the xp pro as a standard work station

does any one have any ideas all other machines work fine their windows 98 and 2000....

thanks Jarhan

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Where is the Linux box on your network?
Are all machines on the same workgroup?
Is your Windows firewall blocking anything/everything?

Can you provide details (step-by-step if possible) describing exactly what you're doing compared to what you want to do?

Their all on a simple workgroup setup
I shut off windows firewall -no change whether its running or not -
all file shares are on the Linux box
I have webmin setup and can use it admin Linux box from the xp machine the problem seem to be only when I try to open a file on the shared drive (mapped and drive p)
example...

on the xp box I go to my computer open drive P I can see all files and DIR. even open other directories ( the responds is slow and sometimes it hang opening a DIR ) if I try to open any file the windows hangs or times out. .
... I can go to any 98 box open a file browse the DIR with no problem

what do you mean location of Linux box?
their all in house with a static IP with no hardware firewall between them all pcs connect to switch (hub) the switch is uplinked to a router/firewall the router has the modem hooked to it.

does this help ?
jarhan

Post what version of Samba you're using and the config file if possible.

Regards,

Martyn

If you want to transfer files from XP to Ubuntu on a dual boot system, here's the easy way.
1. defrag windows.
2. Use Partition magic to create another windows partition ( Careful here, you want to only resize your windows partiton, and give it a name and leave enough room for the files you are gong to transfer to Linux ) My partitions were in place before I installed Ubuntu.
3. Transfer all the Music, Images and Office Files to new partition(s) using Windows explorer and CTRl+ shift etc
4. Now reboot to Ubuntu as Root
5. Go to Places/computer/ and double click
6. You will see your partition(s) above the dotted line
7. Navigate to this partition and you will see your transferred files
8. Highlight large groups (Not too many or you'll freeze ) and press Cttl + C which will copy the files.
9. Now highlight one of the directories such as Documents, Music, pictures etc and double click
10 Now Press CTRL +V to copy the files in the new location
11. You must make sure that you have enough room. I installed linux on a second hard drive, bought for the purpose.
12. Continue with this process until complete
13. I'm sure that this process can be automated.
14 Unmount the partitions and your files are available in places.
15. I'm too new to Linux (2 days) to work out how Root makes these files available to all users. I think it should be just a matter of extending permissions.

johnstod

johnstod, what does that have to do with the topic?

anyhow, in the older versions of Samba you had to tweak it to match the ethernet speeds. if you can post the smb.conf file here it would help.

also, when experiencing weird networking speeds in windows the first step to take is to run "netsh winsock reset"

also, you can try to play with the NIC modes, the switch ports and cables, swap NICs

This is way beyond my knowledge all this windows + Linux ..... but hopefully one dau i ll understand all this ...!!! :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.