Hello,
Recently I have been having problems with a dell inspiron 6000 laptop booting past the welcome screen. It won't. I have performed a fixboot and chkdsk through the recovery console of the xp disk. It has service pack 2 installed. It also will not continue into safe mode because it lags on mup.sys, but then continues to the welcome screen at which it freezes. Any help would be much appreciated. I am trying to avoid reformatting. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

Download the ultimate boot cd 4 windows (http://www.ubcd4win.com/) and use it to restore the system to a previous restore point. If that doesn't work let us know.

Jump to Post

regreswiz is the one I use. It's worked so far for me.

Jump to Post

erunt is for backing up registry ,so you should use it first then the other one

Jump to Post

All 11 Replies

Download the ultimate boot cd 4 windows (http://www.ubcd4win.com/) and use it to restore the system to a previous restore point. If that doesn't work let us know.

Will doing a system restore change system files? I was under the impression that they only revert the registry. But I will try it and post the results.

Also, which program specifically did you want me to use, erunt or regreswiz?

regreswiz is the one I use. It's worked so far for me.

erunt is for backing up registry ,so you should use it first then the other one

Hello,
. I have performed a chkdsk .

did you do a chkdsk /p/f , or just chkdsk

hey, try to install windows..but choose "repair" during installation so you can still have your data..good luck...

I attempted to make the UBCD, but for some odd reason my copy of XP would not copy a specific dll file. So, I ended up reformatting the whole thing. Thanks anyways guys. Is there any specific program that you guys recommend I use to prevent any kids from getting on websites that may lead to viruses or malware? I am thinking about using NetNanny.

Yeah you cant use DELL cds.

I cant make a BARTPE cd from my dell xp disk, seems dell do something wierd to thier OEM media.

. to prevent any kids from getting on websites that may lead to viruses or malware?

no suggestion ,just a comment, not just kids go to sites that get viruses ,15,000 legit websites are hacked daily and links stolen for virus/trojan use !
I get hit as does my wife on legitimate websites

Yeah, as it turns out it was a dell CD. I do have xpsp2, but it is separated into two cd's. I think i will just find the iso online through torrents. Thanks guys.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.