First time posting here,just venting and wondering if anyone has a better solution than reformatting fully drive.

I was looking for a great software that can prompt a password for folders then I stumbled on Folder Lock (v 6.1.6). They had great layout and won several awards. Upon further research, I kept seeing comments of blue screen of death (BSOD) issues on past versions but since this is the latest, I installed it anyway thinking it has been resolved. Right after installing it, I immediately got the BSOD! Now, mostly when I turn on the computer I have to restart 2 to 3 times because of it. I uninstalled it to no avail. I tried System Restore to the earliest 3 days to no avail. Registry repair but none. The only fix I discovered so far is to do a reformat (not sure if Update is adequate).

BSOD dumping physical memory:
Windows error had this:
C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER~1.KOO\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd8d1.dir00\Mini030209-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER~1.KOO\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd8d1.dir00\sysdata.xml

among the complaints I recalled from others:
Cons: BSOD
Contacted them but never replied
One replied but prompted to install another of their software to maybe solve it
System restore didn't work
Had to reformat fresh XP (even Vista with problems)
They even have this BSOD issue on their FAQ!
disable AV (might cause conflict)
Uninstall "Folder Lock" from your system, Reboot the PC and install twhirl
As a very experienced user I was surprised to see the blue screen of death, several times.

This is extremely disappointing. This is actually also the very first time I ever experienced the blue screen of death and I can say that I am also an experienced user. Wow. Maybe others can try this and see if it is fixable or experience an error (don't forget saw posts that Sys Res didnt solve it)

*** General Information ***

Computer Type: Intel Corporation Pentium 4 2850 MHz.
BIOS: AT/AT COMPATIBLE Date: 11/18/03
Memory: Total physical: 239 MB. Used: 84%
Monitor: SyncMaster 591s/591v/594MG/591SG
Adapter: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR

IE version: 7.0.5730.13
DirectX Version: Unknow or Newer then DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

*** Windows Information ***

Windows Name and Version: Uniprocessor Free (5.1.2600)

Driver Version: 80.24
Technology: Raster Display
Color Bits: 16
Fonts Resolution: 96 dpi
Pixel width/height/diagonal: 36/36/51

*** System Devices ***

Manufactured: Intel Corporation
Name: Pentium 4
CodeName: Northwood (0.13 µm)
Frequency: 2850 MHz
L1 cache: 20 KB
L2 cache: 512 KB
Socket: CPU 1

BIOS Manufactured: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Date: 11/18/2003
BIOS Version: 1008.001
BIOS Size: 256 KB

*** MultiMedia Devices ***

Wave In: Realtek AC97 Audio v5.5
Wave Out: Realtek AC97 Audio v5.5
Midi Out: Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth v5.5
Mixer: Realtek AC97 Audio v5.5

*** Processes ***

Process Name (Path) * Threads Count * Usage

*** DirectX Information ***

Direct3D: Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration through Direct3D HAL
Direct3D: Microsoft Direct3D Mono(Ramp) Software Emulation
Direct3D: Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation

DirectPlay: WinSock TCP Connection For DirectPlay
DirectPlay: WinSock IPX Connection For DirectPlay
DirectPlay: Modem Connection For DirectPlay

DirectMusic: Microsoft Software Synthesizer

On further research:
windrvNT.sys
Description: windrvNT.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. The file size on Windows XP is 35,363 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. There is no information about the maker of the file. The program is not visible. There is no detailed description of this service. File windrvNT.sys is not a Windows core file. windrvNT.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 53% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

what error did the bsod give you

can you still go safe mode..try to use atf cleaner...

I only copied
BSOD dumping physical memory:
Windows error had this:
C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER~1.KOO\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd8d1.dir00\Mini030209-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER~1.KOO\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd8d1.dir00\sysdata.xml

Did system restore, but still there
Went through safe mode but system still crashes on it
After using reg repair and other file cleaner, BSOD became more frequent and crashed even when doing nothing (around 5 minutes since restart)
Wasn't able to connect anymore to internet

When I access My Computer or Explorer, crashes, so cant backup any files.
Autorun CD, crashes, so I cant install fresh XP reformat or even at boot

The only solution I found through googling is to do a full reformat but I can't do it anyway since it won't allow me to access CD yet My Computer

if you can boot to the windows cd and go to "R" for repair,hit 1 for c:\windows ,if it asks for admin password just hit enter ,or the password if you had the admin acct pass worded , and type chkdsk /r, at the prompt ! you should be able to boot to the cd, that program should have no control over you doing so!

For some odd reason I can't even get my XP installer to boot though I was able to before.
I was getting hopeless until I tried to access Recycle Bin from desktop and was able to enter there without the system crashing. From there I went to the specific DVD drive (since it crashes when I access My Computer or C or D) and had to do 3 attempts of this to make it do a full install. Everything is now back to the way it was and am still re-installing everything. I would highly discourage Folder Lock to everyone since I think their BSOD has never been fixed and negative publicity (despite garnering several awards). Was recommended Folder Guard and it does exactly what I want and is totally worth it. Thanks for those who tried to help

Just as an aside to anyone else coming accross this post, have used TrueCrypt (free, open-source, plays nicely with x64 OS) for a long time now, and has never let me down

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.