Whenever I try to open my Control Panel (in XP) it says explorer has encountered an error and it won't open. It looks like explorer then does a quick reboot. I looked at the error report, and it says:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: shell32.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2180 Offset: 00022aa0
Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Sounds like system corruption which has resulted from infection by a trojan or other 'nasty'. Try following the advice in the stickied topics in our 'Viruses and Nasties' section, and if that doesn't correct the situation try a refresh install of Windows.

Well when I scan my computer using Norton, it does find things that it wants to delete, but it says it can't delete them. I've tried to delete some of them manually -- some give me a file path. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem. But thanks.

I sooooooo seriously dislike Norton products - for soooooooo many reasons!

The stuff which can't be cleaned or deleted will be inaccessible because it is running in memory. Rebooting into 'Safe Mode' and using decent cleanup tools from there is the way to rid yourself of such pests.

Well I just used Spybot, Ad Aware (wich I already had on my computer), and I noticed I just got some Windows Security updates... and now it works! Thanks for the help.

Well I just used Spybot, Ad Aware (wich I already had on my computer), and I noticed I just got some Windows Security updates... and now it works! Thanks for the help.

I had this same problem.. I restarted in safemode, opened control panel (it should work in safe mode) and under internet options > advanced tab unchecked the box allowing third party browser extensions...

I had this same problem.. I restarted in safemode, opened control panel (it should work in safe mode) and under internet options > advanced tab unchecked the box allowing third party browser extensions...

Well, I did that and still can't open the control panel. Starts to open then goes back to desktop. I can find the .cpl files doing a search. I am up to date on all Windows stuff, loaded & ran Spybot, ran my e-Trust antivirus a couple of times. Just cant figure it out. :cry:

Hey, I just had this problem. Just do a seach for all .cpl(*.cpl) files. They should be in your system32 folder and backups in the dllcache folder. Deleting will not do anything because your cpl files will replace them selves. Try double clicking on each one to see which one will not open, that one will be the corrupt one. Then open your registry editor(regedit) and find

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\

then find the key [don't load] and copy that bad .cpl file name into it as a string value.

then find...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Extended Properties\{305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74}

find the bad .cpl file in that key also and delete it then add it to the [don't load] folder above the Extended Properties folder.

By the way here is an explanation on the weird reg values in the Extended Properties...

• 0x00000000 : Other Control Panel Options (any tool that does not specify a category ID is placed in this category)
• 0x00000001 : Appearance and Themes
• 0x00000002 : Printers and Other Hardware
• 0x00000003 : Network and Internet Connections
• 0x00000004 : Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices
• 0x00000005 : Performance and Maintenance
• 0x00000006 : Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options
• 0x00000007 : Accessibility Options
• 0xFFFFFFFF : Do not put the tool in any category (for special tools such as Add/Remove Programs which only start directly)

Thats just want I have found to work for my problem. Try it for yourself and let me know if it works.

mpmpl@hotmail.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.